Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carbonfibre-propshaft

Marius

At what cost and what life expectancy? I admit that this is one area where I feel you could better spend the cost elsewhere to save weight.

Oh, and what's the point in making lovely CF components that you can't see? *tongue*

Enquired about this very item from CTG in Banbury and got this e-mail:

"Thank you for your enquiry with reference to a Caterham propshaft. We have a

standard propshaft ( I have attached a photo of the current configuration)

with a reverse sleeve yoke UJ (gearbox end) and UJ flange cosworth diff (67

x 60) which costs £595 ex VAT.

I have included my direct number below so please feel free to give me a call

to discuss the application in more detail.

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

Dinesh Sathianathan

Business Development Manager

CTG Ltd

Thorpe Park

Thorpe Way

Banbury

OX16 4SU

Tel +44 (0) 1295 220130

Direct +44 (0) 1295 220141"

They weren't available last year. I've been thinking about buying one since they first appeared at the Racing Car show 3 or 4 years ago. Last year they were a few months away so I put the car together without. This year they were a few weeks away. Now they sound like they're available. But my cars together (well the box is in) so too late for this year too. Maybe next year. Or perhps I'll let someone else be guineau pig for a change *cool*

Tor - Never seen alloy rear hubs, the only alloy hub kits I've seen are for the front, are you sure?

Chelspeed, I must admit I'm not. I saw the kit in the 2005 Demon Tweeks catalogue which stated that it was for de-Dion cars. That, and the fact that my '98 car has alloy front hubs made me assume that it was for the rears. Didn't think Demon would advertise a part that's been standard for the last seven years.

Why aren't they made of alloy when the fronts are?

Oh very complicated.

Road cars have had front alloy hubs for about 15 years.

Race cars started cracking front alloy hubs about four years ago. They cracked from the studs to the outer edge of the hub. Racers went for steel front hubs (backwards step for road cars but in a control formula the wieights not a big deal as same for everyone).

Then the racers started bending stub axles from too much kerb hoppping. Caterhams solution was an uprated stub axle kit which comes with a redesigned alloy hub as a bonus. So for the racers the kit is an unbendable stub axle with an alloy hub thrown in. For DT it's an alloy hub kit.

But it is front, not back. And not standard just a new design of front hub to suit the new stub axles. No benefit to 90% of road users unless you break the standard stub axles.

And I've got no idea why the rear hubs aren't alloy unless it's the drive shaft splines, perhaps they'd rip out of alloy?

Back on topic *eek*

What about them carbon-bling-fibre props ? They have about as much w4nk value as an internally engraved piston pin, *but* they DO save weight, half of which is unsprung (at least in my case, noe of that modern wussy DeDion stuff 😳) (which is FRENCH, in case you haven't noticed! 🙆🏻).

'Do you know what nemesis means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested

by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cvnt. Me.'

Edited by - KayTee on 15 Mar 2005 10:28:49