Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How do I fit an oil pressure warning light ?

Nick Woods

I have a 1.6K SS with an Apollo tank. What do I need in order to fit a low pressure warning light which I can set to come on at a predermined pressure, ideally set by me ?

Is it possible to wire something into the existing wiring for the oil pressure guage so that the light comes on when the gauge gets below a certain point, or will I need a new sender or some kind of adaptor as well ?

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

• Area Representative

Caterham do an oil light kit with all that you need inc. new oil filter mount, braided hose to remote switch. light and bulb etc.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Nick, I've just done this using the caterham kit. I tried Think automotive and they wanted a list of part numbers, they couldn't tell me what I wanted.

The caterham kit comes without instructions (!) but I've got some that I can email you - let me know if you go down that route.

A warning light isn't included for some reason, although an oil filter is.

A good side-effect is that the pressure transducers are now mounted well inside the engine bay, out of the air/ dust/ muck flow under the sump...

Martin

2004 ex-Academy car going on Roadsports B...

If everything's under control you're going too slow (Emmerson Fittipaldi)

Unfortunately I didnt think of doing this until after I'd fitted the Apollo 🙆🏻 , and I dont want to drain the system down to fir a new filter housing so it looks like I have to wait or go for the Think kit.

It shouldnt be hard to work out which bits are needed from Think so long as i know what size the existing pressure sender is. ISTR its 1/2 bsp but I'd need to check.

Martin - can you email me the instructions anyway (nick.woods@btinternet.com) so I can have a look ? Thanks

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

A parts list from THINK for a 2003 K-Series is in 7faq in "Other Articles/Remote Engine Oil Pressure Switch Parts List" 😬

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Edited by - Tony C on 17 Mar 2005 10:19:05

Tony C, not quite as strightforward as the FAQ would have you believe. Here's what I got from Think:

"There is not a simple installation to acheive your goal.

The option you enquired about would be floored as follows, the part no EWS/1D has an 1/8 NPTF thread on it, the TP6 tee piece has a male M12 x 1.5 thread to connect to the block, then an 1/8 BSP female to connect to your oil pressure line, then a M12 x 1.5 female thread to put your original oil pressure switch back in to. unfortunately we do not supply a M12 x 1.5 male to 1/8 NPTF female, which would cure your problem.

However if you were to send us your original gauge line, we could replicate this unit in braided hose, and some where in the line we could place a take off adaptor to take the pressure switch. the part no for the take off is HAR3. depending on the hose length and fittings, the roughj price for this set up would be about £25.00."

Hardly just an ordering-a-list-of-parts job.....

Martin

I guess the difficulty arises from using the original electrical pressure transducer. I changed to mechanical oil pressure and this list of part works just fine - sorry!

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Fair enough Tony! I'm restricted to the original pressure gauge for Roadsports B (probably to the Caterham pressure switch kit as well, but less likely to get noticed!)

Martin