Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

oil pressure + spa gauge (its fitted)

thinfourth

okay getting high oil pressure 8 bar at idle and 6 bar when stopped. So me thinks that something might be broke. Time for a gauge bin interface

How easy is it to fit the spa oil pressure/temp gauge on a 1.6 k series which has got no oil temp probe that i know of. Also has caterham dry sump but that shouldn't make a difference since that is on the low pressure side of the oil system

Sod the heater wheres my shades

Edited by - thinfourth on 14 Mar 2005 00:13:52

Edited by - thinfourth on 30 Mar 2005 10:42:19

Edited by - thinfourth on 31 Mar 2005 17:27:02

On the passenger side of the dry sump bell/tank housing there is a hole tapped in mine for a temp sender. Newer cars apparently don't have the hole tapped, but there is an obvious "blank" where you can drill and tap your own.

The pressure sender that Spa ships with the gauge is excellent. A far superior item to the standard diaphragm but a completely different thread. You'll need to speak to Think Automotive about an adapter hose. Get one about 12 inches long so you can tie wrap the sender up out of the way of environmental damage.

I'm sure I've a pic somewhere. Email me if you want me to dig it out.

Any chance of someone sending me a picture of said blank as i have identified something that looks blank.

Also if you know the thread of the pressure sender and temp sender and i can hunt down some taps to do the threading.

• 2 weeks later...

okay that wasn't the quickest delivery known to man but it is here and after discovering my coffee is at 65centigrade and i can blow no harder then 2psi i am now faced with fitting it.

I don't fancy drilling a hole in the side of the bell tank due to chance of getting swarf and crap into system and it leaves my temp probe rather exposed to low flying bunnys etc.

So am looking at getting a custom made hose made up either going into the top of the conning tower where the oil comes in or the hose going from the oil tank to the engine

Any thoughts on what would be the best or easiest.

I'd guess the former - the OT sender needs to be in the flow of the oil - but not restricting it. You're probably aware that they put it in the body of the Apollo (if fitted) - dunno where the equivalent would be with a DS - worth checking with V7 if he's online.

OK, I see he answered this before... Oh well, hose it is then.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 30 Mar 2005 13:05:26

okay all fitted thanks to miracle working machine shop m12x1.5 to 1/8bsp adapter made up in half an hour.

Temp sensor fitted in bell housing i hate drilling holes in expensive things

So what should i set max oil temp and min oil pressure to

its a 1.6 supersport with drysump and no oil cooler

What you really need to do is leave off setting the alerts for a little while. Reset the min/max then after a few trips out, click the button to give the min/max recorded values and set your temp alert just outside of that.

For oil pressure, I tend to set mine at the same psi it displays when idling, or *just* above it. Then you find it flickers on when you come to junctions etc. This is good because:

a) it proves to me that I will notice it if/when it alerts me for real

2) it proves that the alerts are working properly

iii) there is no iii.

That's true about on-track oil temp, so what do you want to be alerted to? Do you want to put in a hot track limit, or a hot road limit or change the limits accordingly to suit your applications? I mean it's a 2 minute job to reset it in the pits after your session is over so either do that, or spend a bit on oil temperature control. I think Mylo's looking at oil coolers now after his return from the Anglesey trip where his oil temp rose consistently throughout the day.

I have a laminova and dry sump. The dry sump tends to keep the oil cooler than a wet sumped car, mostly I guess because the oil's not thrashed by the crank (I'm not so convinced that the "out-of-engine" storage has much influence here). I don't believe the laminova does much for cooling the oil although it definitely does *something*.

I have noticed my oil comes up to temp quicker with the laminova, and then on track it goes above the coolant temp but never really goes much above 90 degrees, and as 90 degrees is a sensible limit all round (road and track) I stuck the limit up at 95. There's no real need to be warned below that. To be honest, oil can deal with much higher temps but what I'm warning myself about is the failure in some of the system to keep it cool, rather than the worry that the oil is about to break down.

That make sense? *confused*

The important thing is not to use the gauges as opportunities to worry unduly. There's definitely a good case for doing away with all gauges and simply installing warning lights. Ha ha... I spend so much time looking at my gauges I think I'm the perfect test subject for such a system. 😬