Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Live axle for beginners...

tony pashley

If I can go back to being a Novice for minute or two please...

I've never owned a live-axle car (and not done any proper work on one before) but recently had a look at one intending to help the owner with service and maintainance.

Numerous bits and pieces weren't immediately familiar to a deDion user.

So, I have some very basic questions:

-- Is it ok to jack up the car by the A-frame bracket under the axle, prior to putting axle stands in place, as I might do with my deDion car? This looks much more prone to damage from this practice than does the deDion equivalent... (see below for the type of bracket I'm thinking of).

-- Is the axle casing robust enough to put the axle stands on, like I would put them under the DD tube if I didn't need the suspension drooped?

-- When replacing A-frame bushes (the rear ones under the axle), the tightness of the bolt seems to be restricted by the width of the bracket rather than a torque setting. The prescribed torque may well deform the bracket (in this instance, an inverted 'U' welded to the underside of the diff case - I believe some cars are different) and still compress the 'flanges' of the bushes lots before torque is reached. Should we be placing a washer or spacer between the two bushes - however bloody difficult it makes it to get the A-frame back into the bracket?

Or am I misunderstanding something?

-- I have other questions relating to the rear suspension, but will try to further analyze what I've seen and so formulate the questions more clearly, and post again.

Thanks for your patience...

Edited by - tony pashley on 8 Oct 2001 11:29:46

Tony,

As a long term Live axle owner:-

I jack mine up using the A frame bracket - no problems so far.

I've frequently put the axle stands under the axle - again no problems so far.

Fitting the bushes seems to depend on the age of the car. I believe there were some changes made to "later" (not sure how much) fittings, which included a washer/spacer between the bushes. I've always done mine up to the correct torque, but my bracket is in two pieces welded to the casing.

Feel free to give me a call if you want to discuss this in more detail, or arrange a viewing.

If it ain't raining on wednesday I'll have the car at the West Sussex meeting.

Dave H

Thanks chaps -

Car in question is 1992 if that sheds any more light...

The old bushes didn't have a spacer between (not that that proves anything) and we didn't measure the torque of the bolt before removing it. But the car has recently done a long European trip and the old bushes were by no means ''done for''. Tightening to 40lbft certainly looks like straining things a bit...

If my head-cold subsides I'll try to get to Dial Post - otherwise I'll call you Dave. Thanks.

Meantime - all comments welcome.

I always jack up using the a-frame mount as described, but I've read an article in low flying about live axles, possibly by Graham Sykes (though I'm not really sure) that said "the a-frame mounting is not a jacking point!" (including exclamation mark), so your mileage may vary.

I always use axle stands under the axle casing, but be careful if you undo any of the axle location links, as then the car is not really all that safe. This includes when you change the a-frame bush, in which case you should put axle stands under the point where the radius arms meet the chassis just under the rear bulkhead (not a very good description, but there's a picture in Tony Weale's book).

Anthony