Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Hellier baffle system

david nelson

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the foam squashed I think it's more likely to deteriorate & break up. Just a thought, maybe its the slight movement of the plate against the bottom of the engine. Last year my baffle plate fractured & had to be replaced. From my 1994 handbook, CC advise replacing the plate on a regular basis as they can break. No mention of any foam though.

I wonder when CC started putting the foam in?

Myles,

Making the holes through the foam and then compressing it at these points does tend to make the area around the holes very brittle, quite often when removing these(permanently) I find that significant areas near the holes have broken away , these areas are near the ends and cause deterioration of the surrounding area. Those little bits usually end up in the pickup....

All the factory fitted engines I have seen have the foam squashed by the plate, I have never seen a 'floater' (no scatalogical jokes please). However, foam is often used in fuel tanks to reduce the effects of surge.

Oily

P.S. I trust your engine is now oil and water tight?

Oily,

Yep PSC doesn't seem to be consuming anything I'm not expecting it to *thumbup*

Mind you, it doesn't feel as strong as it did initially, but I'll have to bank a bit of cash and wait until next winter to sort that *smile*

The only strange behaviour is that OP is taking longer to come up on initial startup. I am very used to the normal behaviour as measured by the SPA gauge - it (and the 1.6) typically jumped from 0-30ish-60ish psi in two jumps lasting 'less than a second' (subjectively) after the engine caught from cold. Now, the OP typically bumbles around in single figures (with an associated, transient tappety-rattle from the head) for 'a second or so' before rousing itself out of bed. Just a slight puzzle, that's all.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com