Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham questions....?

tor

Hi all,

As someone who has just seen the light and decided to get a caterham, I am looking to you people for some knowledge :-)

I live in norway where cars are hideously expensive, and caterhams are few and far between. I've heard there are 35 registered, so the availability of used ones is not very good.

So, as I am looking for a used example it seems like I will have to import one from the UK, germany or similar. But what shall I opt for?

My use will vary from trackdays, autoslalom competitions, Nurburgring-trips (1000 kms one way) to normal twisty road weekendtrips.

I've seen late 80's X-flow 1700 offered for reasonable money, but further details of the car have been unavailable.

My questions are therefore

- are there any significant improvements in the chassis from 80's to 90's

- difference between x-flow's and K'series 1400 / 1600

- engine longevity

- live-axle vs de-dion

- where to find used examples

I am sure there are several more things I should ask, but I will get back to that.

Tor Eide

Tor,

I'll try to give some sort of answer to your questions, but much of what you ask comes down to personal choice.

There is no significant difference in the chassis from the '80s to '90s. there were changes made to accomodate different engines, lengthen footwells etc, but overall these should have had a minimal effect on handling.

K's & Crossflows - a personal choice. The 1400 K is a good little engine - light and modern - suite the car well. The 1600 i ssimilar, with a little more torque and loads more scope for improving the power output.

The Crossflow is, in my opinion, getting a bit long in the tooth. Its been around since the late sixties, and out of production for nearly 20 years. However, there are some great examples around, and if you are into DIY, the crossflow is great for getting into and getting your hands dirty.

If you look after it, regular oil changes, and don't abuse it too often, the engine should last as long as the rest of the car. And the rest of the car should last a long time - mine is an '86 chassis, still going (with a Zetec engine to replace the old crossflow).

Live axle v de dion - In my opinion a well set up live axle is as good as a good de dion - and its lighter. However, the de dion will take more power than the live axle, and needs less looking after. You need to drive both and make up your own mind.

Low Flying...

Dave H

Tor, you need to get in contact with Tor Atle who I believe lives in Oslo. He's got a heavily modified 1.6K, but knows the score with Caterhams in Norway. I've got an email address for him from some time ago. I thin it's still current. If you want it email me and I'll return...