Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Cracked Engine Mount

oldbutnotslow

Having removed the engine (K) and delivered this to Dave Andrews I was checking the engine mounts and found that the braze around one of them had all but parted. 😳

Question?

Are they brazed for a reason?

Is there any reason why they could they be welded as opposed to brazed?

Grant

Black and stone chip and currently not going but getting better ☹️

here

Grant - do you mean one of the L-shaped brackets, or the rubber things?

And...

...is it a RH-side L-bracket - if so, I have one spare that I can let you have (either a new-one (unopened) for a bit less than CC's going rate) or my slightly-scabby original one).

Erm, due to my financial situation (see mail earlier), I'd still need money for the old-one. If I'm going to sell one, it'd probably be the new one though.

Yell now (ideally) because I'll be bolting one (the scabby one) into the car tomorrow (I hope).

I can bring the new one to Emerald (assuming I make it) on Friday - touch wood.

If it's either a rubber-thingy or a LHS one - you're on your own... ☹️

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 12 Mar 2005 22:15:37

Hi Myles,

Its the N/S (Exhaust) L shaped metal bracket that I need. The rubber bushes look OK as does the O/S bracket.

I guess its when you ground the sump that the cracking starts!

So you are at Emerald on Friday. What time are you expecting to be there?

Grant

Black and stone chip and currently not going but getting better ☹️

here

I just received from Caterham my new 1.6 K 1997 engine mounts and found that the right one (well the one which holds too the alternator, so it must be the LHS for you) is different from my old one. Among other differences it has a kind of 'leg' toward the rear, making it triangular. It does not seem to be possible to fit it to my car.

Are you aware of different models ?

Cheers!

Pierre

Thanks Grant.

The photos show what is on my car the LHS. The new one sent by Caterham is OK for me to replace the old one.

In fact my concern is relative to the other one, the one that holds the alternator and is much more complicated and ...expensive. By the way, is this one also prompt to failure ?

Pierre

Edited by - Pierre Gillet on 18 Mar 2005 07:24:59

Pierre,

I think that they are both prone to cracking but perhaps the NS more so that the o/s (right hand drive). I think the cause of the cracking is grounding the sump. The sump is lower on the n/s by the drain plug and as such will probably stress the bracket more often. Its interesting to see that the bracket is brazed and not welded. Presumably this is because braze is softer and may be able to take more punishment that the harder weld.

This is the other engine mount here and here

Grant

Black and stone chip and currently not going ☹️ but waiting to me made better curtsey of Dr. Dave Andrews.

Not long now hopefully?! *smile*

here

Thanks again Grant. These two photos are those of the mount I am talking about, and the one that Caterham sent me is different. e.g. it has a leg brazed to it that is also bolted on the engine . I am going back to Darren and will attach your photo if you don't care.

Merci!

Pierre

I think that they are both prone to cracking but perhaps the NS more so that the o/s (right hand drive). I think the cause of the cracking is grounding the sump. The sump is lower on the n/s by the drain plug and as such will probably stress the bracket more often.

Isn't this typical. The sump plug's at the lowest point so grounds 1st & the forward motion gradually unscrews it. I hope everyone checks theirs on a frequent basis.

• 3 weeks later...

I received the second engine mount from Caterham. It looks like Grant's lower picture.

here

Question: I noticed that this side engine mount (RHS) is already reinforced by a triangle, which was not the case for the older models of other one.

Since most photos of craked monts I have seen are of the other side mount (LHS), I am wondering if RHS mounts are as prone to craking as LHS ones .

Pierre