Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Superlight number plate light

MJS

Seeing as there is no reference to fitting a number plate light to a car without a spare wheel carrier in the manual, I'd just like to clarify I'm heading on the right track.

I have a fabricated ali mounting plate to which the light itself bolts to. Am I correct in saying the plate then fits to the underside of the rearmost transverse chassis tube, using the 5 holes (in the plate) provided? If this is the case, then I assume self tappers are required to make the necessary attachment?

As an aside, does anyone know where I can get some of the single sided adhesive foam as fitted to the bulkhead under the trailing edge of the bonnet? Tried all my local motor factors, B+Q and Homebase, but the nearest thing I could find was window draft excluder.

Cheers,

Matt.

I ended up sikaflexing mine on, no problems so far, although you need to make sure the metal bracket supplied, earths correctly to the car, otherwise it won't work.

Matt if that you have converted your car (removed wheel carrier)then a number of cars I have seen have the light attached to where the spare wheel was bolted to the car, witht he light shining down. Looks like a neat and easy solution

rob

I was thinking about fitting electroluminescent material to the car (as Bentley used on their le mans racer) instead of a proper number plate. Only the legality of such a plate prevented me from doing it.

But...

Mercedes have now patented the process and plan to fit it forthcoming road cars!! I'll be making tracks to the MB dealer to get one when they are released. They use it so that the rear styling could be improved by the removal of the lights in the bootlid or bumper.

BC

TVR use a backlit number plate. It does mean you have to cut a large hole in the back of the car, but it will be covered by the plate, and no protruding light units. Thought about it on mine, but I haven't got rid of the spare wheel....yet.

Dave H