Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vtec engines

Tom

I have a Honda Integra Type R and have noticed that the second cam doesn't seem to come in if the engine is cold. Is this normal? Is there an explanation for it? Or is there a problem with the engine?

By the way, I don't normally rev the engine when cold, but have done so twice now and noticed it both times. When hot, the second cam kicks in perfectly.

*confused*

The v6 3.5ltr Vtec is awesome in the minivan and my Acura jas over 180K on it and it looks loke it will go for ever. I suspest the body will fall off the Acura before the engine goes bang.

Driving on the left side 😬

My Accord Type R did the same until the temp came up and my neighbours imported Integra Type R won't engage vtec if the car is in neutral (or not moving, or somehing like that *confused*). Hoda claim there have been no VTEC related warranty claims . . .

Roadsport build photo's here

Le Mans 2004 photo's here

Almost an urban myth this one. There have been failures of both vtec solenoids, and lost motion assemblies (the Honda term for the rockers and the vtec pistons). But normally done as a 'courtesy repair'.... hence not showing up as warranty work. Vtec is very, very, reliable though. But the stat is generally misquoted... implying that the whole engine is what you're on about rather than a small, very simple mechanism.

-Brian.

Vtec is a very simple mechanical device that brings in an extra cam at a certain rpm. The clever bit is electronic. There is really very little that could go wrong with this mechanism.

If you believe all the marketing speak ...more fool you *tongue*

I have heard of vtecs going bang previously.

Having said that though mine runs without too many complaints on low or no oil until I remember to fill er up!! 😬 *thumbup*

Incredible engines. Love the scream as the vtec kicks in. Great fun keeping it above 5000 and going up through all the gears.

Seven-Ecstasy.co.uk Fully revised and updated for 2005 including more Le Mans and Goodwood pics

It's also possible/easy to significantly lower the onset of Vtec.. .. does 4000 rpm sound better ?..It's also possible to attach a Vtec head to a previously non vtec engine :-) But these are a rather large cyl. head, at least inna DOHC variants.. making adaptation to a 7 'problematic'.. not to mention the reverse rotation of the earlier engines

There are a few failsafes built... in like temperature .. just to keep cretins from bursting an otherwise reliable setup.

IF one's clever enough to retime the onset of Vtec.. then they are also clever enough to get their Gettodyne to squirt the appropriate fuel quantty.. seemingly even Teenagers know how to do this here.

Remember Honda sold 850,000 cars in North America in '04 alone.

To say these are 'plentifull' would be an understatement :-)

The Honda VTEC unit probably works in the same way as our Toyota VVTiL engine. The ECU controls the engagement of the VTEC magic, via a speed sensor to restrict its use in neutral and an engine temperature sensor reading to restrict it working until the engine is up to operating temperature. Obviously both of these things can be fooled into giving false readings but why would you want to.

Lowering the onset of the VETC in the Honda and VVTiL in the Toyota is not advisable, certainly in the unit I have in my SV. The Toyota engine works on a regular cam up to 6,200 rpm at which point the ECU send a signal to an oil pump to shift the engine up to the high lift cam. To lower the point at which this happens causes all sorts of crossover problems and has an overall effect on engine performance. To raise the point beyond 6,200 rpm would stress the regular cam.

I imagine that the Honda unit works in much the same way, and despite working for the competion the Honda is a suberb engine. We all have a lot of respect for it at Toyota. Our engines have gone pop, but the main cause, when the engine was first launched, was the driver shifting from fifth to second by mistake. The Toyota engines may be good but can't really deal with 13,500 rpm!

The remaining bits of my engine loom are being sorted at the moment in the SV, and then we will see what all this variable valve timing nonsense means in a Caterham, ear plugs I would think!

Caterham SV 190....Yes THE 2ZZ-GE!

You can definitely gain midrange power by moving the VTEC point down - the original changeover was probably for good emissions/drive-by noise/economy. You just move the VTEC to where the torque curves cross over.

I've definitely heard of VTEC ECU hacks that JUST lower the VTEC point.

The official line is that there have been no reported failures of VTEC in any market in the world within the warranty period. Any warranty repair would be reported back to head office as they need to pay the dealer for the work. Any repair done outside the warranty period would not necessarily be known. Either way, it's a great testament to the engineering. Fantastic engines too. Just a shame the CSR got the Duratec 😳 😬

Danny - who needs torque in a car that weighs 500kg? 😬

Not an urban legend at all. Confirmed by Honda (no reported warranty failures of VTEC in any market in the world). That's not to say there haven't been problems with VTEC engines, just that the problems aren't attributable to the VTEC system itself.