Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SLR - non starter

allegro

Just changed my oil and filter after Snetterton.

Put 5 ltrs of Comma synergy in, then spun the engine for a few seconds to see how much more was required. Added more then tried to spin it again. Nothing. The ECU clicks all electrics seem to be working but nothing is getting to the starter motor. Engine can be turned in 6th gear, so nothing serious there. Imobiliser says it's not active.

Any clues question.gif

Any thing in the ECU that can stop engine start apart from the imobilser question.gif

Andy Mac

interesting to know about - thanks

Also I've been told my SL requires 7-litres of oil? (have not changed it yet, only had it a few weeks).

Therefore does your SLR have the same anti-cavitation tank which might mean it requires a bit more thank 5-litres or is there a consideration for dry sump too?

ALLEGRO - yes thanks and I think an oil change is ovedue now after some road-work this weekend (I've also got 7 litres of Syn-RG standing by) later Masha

Edited by - masha on 8 Oct 2001 08:37:46

Allegro - Sounds like you have the common problem of the soldered connectors on the starter motor cracking due to vibration and expanding with the heat of the manifold to give an intermitent starting problem .

I had the same problem , remove the starter solenoid and resolder the wire connector conections .

Dave

Dave

Glad to know it's a common proplem and not just me. Did the Track day at Snetterton and this was the first time I have tried to start the car from cold since then. Sounds very much like we've found the fault.

Masha

It looks like 7 ltrs is about right. And yes I do have the same ant-cav as your car. The oil was new before Snetterton and was like treacle when it came out. I would strongly recommend a change of oil after every track day.

P.S. Hope you and Mrs Masha had a good day at Cadwell.

Andy Mac