Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help wanted -Bodywork Mods.

Bullman

Can anyone advise the best,neatest, way of cutting a hole in the bodywork for the larger 4 into 1 exhaust manifold.I have a 1700 x- flow supersprint with the 4 into 2 into 1 manifold at the mo but would like to convert.What tools are required,what is the procedure,could any one send me a template of the shape to cut out .Thanks in anticipation.Bullman.

Bullman

I am also interested in this, so basicaly you just cut the metal away with cutters?????

I have looked at the area and the metal looks very thin so should not be too hard to cut with cutters.

Does the paint suffer damage?

X777CAT

An alternative way to get lovely clean 'corners' -

work out the shape you want to cut away and its position; cut the corners with a large-ish Q-Max punch (the things you use to cut holes in instrument panels and dashboards - unless you ran out of things to buy and got a carbon dash); join up the corners carefully with a hand nibbler; finish the 'straight' cuts very carefully by hand - or very very very carefully with a drill motor and abrasive flap-wheel. Care is the watchword.

Edited by - tony pashley on 7 Oct 2001 10:16:16

Just gone 4:1 myself. I used a smallish drill bit to drill a series of holes, as close together as possible, to the approximate shape. I then used a small file to cut between the small holes, follwed by a larger file to smooth of the rough edges. Finished off with some emery cloth to get a really smooth and neat finish, and no paintwork damage.

My only other advice would be if you're thinking of using a Dremel then don't! it's all to easy to lose control of these things and end up with a hole much larger than you originally intended.

Kevin Thomas

kevin.thomas@bigfoot.com

www.7gallery.co.uk

This is a conversion I am planning. Is a there a template for this hole? If there is, is it centred over the existing small hole or is it eccentric?

I looked very closely at lots of cars at Caterham the other day and there was little consistency - these holes seemed to be all over the place.

James.

I did this conversion last year, and tried several different methods. The one that def didn't work was the Dremel.

In the end, I used a rounded pair of tin snips, finished off with emery cloth and a fine rounded file.

Drilling small holes around the approx shape is also a good solution.

As for the shape (template) use the Mk 1 eyeball and suck it and see approach!!

If you use a Mondex or Nibbler you won't bend the ali when you cut it - its the flexing that cracks the paint. Don't use snips because they will flex (or bend) the area round where you are cutting.

When you file off to achieve a smooth finish be careful not to be to heavy handed, and use a fine toothed file, or you can catch and crack the paint with it.

Dave H