Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cycle wing indicators

seven7

Anybody know the legal position regarding cycle wing indicator repeater lights. I notice later cars seem to have them fitted as standard.Do I need them on a 1997 registered car for the MOT. If possible I would rather leave them off but are the MOT stations getting tougher.

chris

I'm pretty sure 97 registered cars don't need them, though am not sure when it started.

Take it to a Caterham friendly MOT station and you should be OK.

The alternative is to place indicators elsewhere (many people use subtle lights on the side panels).

I also have a 97 7 (1600K series) and it's on second MOT without indicators on the cycle wings. I believe the requirement for the indicators came in around the time the SVA was introduced, so no worries for you.

The only prob you may have with the MOT this year is related to the idle speed. Last year my 7 flew through, but this year they initially failed it as the idle speed according to the MOT regulations should be around the 740-850 RPM, mines on the 980 and has been since first firing it up.

The MOT station arrives at the required engine operating envelope from checking parts of the chassis number against the regs. They then punch the appropriate numbers into the computer which then takes over the test. Anything outside the spec, eg emissions, idle speed etc is then automatically failed.

I contacted Caterham (Simon), explaned the situation and they replied that this test does not apply to my car as it is amature built (I built it). Verification of amature built status relates to 5th or 6th diget in the chassis number being a 'K'.

So back to the garage with this explanation, but unfortunately no joy as the MOT regs were far from clear on this point.

I contacted the Vehicle Inspectorate who confirmed Caterham's statement and also told the garage concerened to pass the 7.

The upshot of all this is that the Inspectorate is to issue an amendment to their regs.

I'm not sure what effect all this has on factory built vehicles, perhaps others in the know can comment.

On reflection, I could have taken the car to the likes of Caterham / James the fish or one of the other Caterham agents for testing, but none of them have MOT approval. They simply give the car a once over and then take the it to an MOT station sympathetic to 7's and charge highly for this service.

Do the once over yourself, find a garage that does free retests and save a load of dosh better spent on petrol.

Chris

My 1991 car failed the year before last due to lack of repeaters on my cycle wings. The car had passed on two previous occasions at the same testing station which is 7 friendly. Apparently the date from which cars should have repeaters fitted is way in the distant past. There have been previous threads on this subject.

Regards

Phil.

My '97 Superlight got awarded its MOT despite not having side repeaters fitted, although I understand there was some debate over it at the time: I'll keep the above thread on file for next year though (seeing as it refers to SVA & '97 cars) - thanks.

If i do have to fit them in the future: does anyone know of the neat little solution I saw fitted to the side of a 7's headlamp once which appeared to be a small side-repeater: would this suffice?

Alternatively talking "clear-lense" front indicators with orange bulbs ,which seem to be 'in' and talked about at the mo.: - does anyone know if the original Caterham (Landrover) design wing-repeaters are available in clear plastic too (might blend in on certain colours of car better), from anywhere? summary: did Landrover ever make clear ones?

The law states that unless your front indicator lenses have a specific E mark to indicate they are visible from the side, the car must have side repeaters, whether manufactured or supplied with them or not.

Make some temporary ones as detailed elsewhere on this forum, or find a dodgy MOT centre.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>