Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Another dry sump question - catch tank set up

Shaun_E

• Support Team

The Caterham instructions read as follows:

The white plastic breather bottle should be mounted above the top of the bell housing on the vertical face of the scuttle panel using the wedge shaped bracket. The breather hose should be fitted into the side of the bottle but no lower than 1" from the top and onto the aluminium breather elbow on the top of the swirl tower using a jubilee clip. The black plastic cap requires five holes drilled into it (5mm) for breathing purposes.

1. As I have a heater (yeah I know...) I need to mount it somwhere else - any suggestions? I could put it where the Apollo was - is the height of the catch tank important?

2. I assume I have to drill a hole in the side for the breather pipe to enter. Does the pipe just fit in there as an interference fit or should I secure it with something?

I have a couple of left over items:

1. A brass union threaded at each end as described in the instructions - there were 2 in the kit so I have used one. Have I missed something or is it just incorrectly supplied?

2. A black plastic blanking plug - any ideas where that goes?

Yellow SL *cool* #32

the plastic bottle that I originally had I placed ont he front of the drivers footwell

I replaced it with a mocal catch tank that I placed originally on the front of the drivers foot well...but this has now been relocated to the scuttle...as an aside I always had issues of oil pissing out into the catch tanks but since moving to the scuttle area I have had no poblems *thumbup*

rob *smile*

• Support Team

Cheers for that. I'll probably mount it on the drivers footwell but the idea of mounting on the heater sounds interesting - just not sure that I'd be happy with just velcro.

Rob - perhaps having the catch tank above the breather exit makes a difference. Mounting on the heater might provide the same benefit.

Should I secure the breather pipe to the catch tank or will it be OK just as a tight fit in the hole?

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Thanks but it's OK I'll drill my nice clean new plastic catch tank *tongue*.

I think I'm nearly there now with the dry sump fitting. I just hope I don't get any leaks when I finally fire it up - not for a while yet though.

Yellow SL *cool* #32