Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Regs

Mike Molloy

Just read through the PPC (formerly CCC and CD) Speed Championship regs for 2005.

For Class 4 "Up to 1700cc road going kit type cars and replica cars" I note the following:

"Cars in classes 4, 5 may use aero screens".

"Cars in classes 4, 5 may use tyres in List 1A or List 1B..."

Woo-hoo! That means with my JPE screen and CR500s I am in class 4 and NOT "Sports Libre". *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

OTOH, it does mean that toffee ACB10's are now legal as well...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob

As we have our own championship regs I would think that it would be up to the club to decide and the end of classes 2 & 4 would be dictated by a lack of competitors. As only a small minority of competitors in classes 2 & 4 compete in other championships I would expect these changes to have little impact.

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Not entirely the death of List 1A tyres - the HSA and Midland Hillclimb championships still mandate them. Given a choice I'd do those championships (because of the level of competition) despite having to use rock-hard rubber. As I see it the only downside of allowing List 1B is that you'll have to have super-expensive super-short-lifed A24 ACB10s to have a chance (all other things being anywhere near equal). Given that Caterham no longer supply cars on ACB10s, and given their price, and given that it's a pain for people to have 2 sets of wheels/tyres which require different camber settings, I'd say there was a case for excluding cross-ply tyres from List 1B (there that ought to cause some howls of protest *smile*).

Mike

Would happy to see a24's outlawed, save me loads of money 😬

I was just asking more from a hypothetical POV, would more newcomers to the sport (mainly the club champs discussing here) be on list 1a's Vs 1 b's, maybe it woukld mean more peopple going the other way *confused*

and as you say Mark it should be dependent on numbers...

a while back I compiled some numbers about number of competitors in each class (work avoidance) 😬

Class *arrowright* *arrowright* *arrowright*1 *arrowright*2 *arrowright*3 *arrowright*4 *arrowright*5 *arrowright*6

Avg/event 4.8 *arrowright*13.9 *arrowright*11.2 *arrowright*6.6 *arrowright*8.8 *arrowright*3.9

Champ reg'd 6 *arrowright*20 *arrowright*16 *arrowright*10 *arrowright*18 *arrowright*5

rob

Edited by - robmar on 10 Mar 2005 15:08:39

I haven't deceided what to do yet - do i buy a second set of whhels & tyres for local sprints, do I move to class 5 in the seven Club events? or just treat the local events as a day out (I only do a couple) and run on list 1a tyres?

It's rather annoying - i'll spend money, but not be any more competitive.

Jonathan

personally i would say use what you are most comfortable with, and what you are used to driving the car on...

if you are used to list 1a's and have the car setup for them, then maybe that is best, also save money on those extra tyres/wheels *thumbup*

rob *smile*

The new regs have definitely decided me against entering non-7 club events. I already have a set of road wheels/tyres and sprinting (1A) wheels/tyres. I can't afford another set with 1B's *eek* Anyway, I don't think that a 1A shod car would stand up against a similar car with 1B in the local championships.

Anyway, I prefer the 7 Club events - much friendlier 😬

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

Mikes idea kinda makes sense as the supersoft rubber is going to add £500 to everyone who is even slightly competative's budget for the year ☹️ I certainly won't be going for the A24's. There was a lot of debate a couple of years ago about reducing costs in the regional sprint championships that led to some changes, so to put costs up again does seem strange. Still give it a try first and lets see what shakes out

Edited by - Graham Perry on 10 Mar 2005 15:56:59

Rob

There is no such thing as top of the range List 1A's, they are all hard and cost around £40-45 per corner. The preferred choice used to Bridgestone RE720's but given these are no longer available I'm not sure what the Class 2 & 4 boys will be using this year or when their existing RE720's wear out *confused*

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Graham, what compound will you be using, if that's not top secret 😬

I can't afford ACB10s so I'll be running my Kumho V700s that I used last year. They seemed to go well in Sports Libre and they are quicker than A048s or A032s according to most tests, but I have no idea how much faster an A24 ACB10 is compared to an A048. Just tyres made the car 2-3 seconds a mile faster at most venues compared to list 1A.

Robmar, The thing is that a set of 1a's if stored properly will do 3 seasons with no noticeable drop off in performance, and hence will cost perhaps £100 a year. I suspect A24's will not last more than one, although perhaps someone with more experience could comment ? I would be in favour of the L7 club keeping the 1a classes as it lets all sorts of cars and budgets to compete

Ian, not decided yet what to use in 2005 locally. For me its not a vital decision as I will only do a few events due to personal circumstances, but to those who want a proper season the cost is a factor. Thanks for the tip on the V700's I had thought about them, but so few people use them I suspected that they might be pants, I will make some enquiries *thumbup* although I am not sure who sells them

Edited by - Graham Perry on 10 Mar 2005 18:16:23

Fairfield Motorsports (www.fairfieldmotorsports.com) were knocking out V700s at half price recently - £50 inc per corner for a 205/50/15, not sure what they charge for the 13" tyres. Fairfield don't list them on their site, you have to call. They are good in the dry but pants in the wet.

Ian - are these V700's list 1a and faster than list 1b tyres *confused*

Graham - fair point hadn't thought of it like that, just kind of assumed to get that last 0.1s people renewed there list 1a tyres every year...

to be honest it was just an honest question and wasn't really meant to cause trouble, we can leave that to others.. I kind of put 2 and 2 together (and got 5) and thought why would anyone want to compete on list 1a's when they had chance of using list 1b's *confused*

I am all for inclusion and making the l7 championship a great place to compete and have fun for all levels *thumbup* and we will never have the perfect class system that caters for everyone, however what we have is not far off

FYI my a24's lasted 10-12 sprints and the fronts are still legal (just), am getting new ones for this year *smile*

rob *smile*