Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Warped disks - again !

silver-7

Yet again i have warped front disks, car is an R300 with AP big front brakes.

last year had two new disks fitted under warranty now 6,000 miles later i have the same problem !!

Whats causing it ? is it my hard braking (came to light after a Cadwell track day) or is there something wrong with my set up ? car has standard caterham fit pads.

help please as my previous car had an identical Ap brake set up and never (18,000 miles) missed a beat !

cheers

Alex

Brake discs do not warp in the simple sense - too much heat = bendy disc. Poor bedding in of the pads causes localised formation of cementite (form of cast iron). This provides an uneven surface wear and results in an uneven braking surface. If you don't bed you pads in right this will happen on any brake disc.
- -Peter C.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Alex, check they are actually warped by passing a micrometer around their surface. I have had to replace disks on the Scooby because they feel warped but it is always this localised exchange of pad material into the iron surface causing friction hotspots. In my case this was caused by braking hard with an underbraked car on poorly balanced wheels. It happens often with the Scoob *because* the wheels go out of balance regularly. I don't know why this happens. I have them rebalanced regularly and they always find the wheels seriously out of balance. Sometimes cheap tyres does this but mine are NOT cheap.

In the case of the Scooby the surfaces of the disks were too badly gone but with a light car such as the Caterham, you ought to be able to rub the surface with some light emery to remove the hotspots. Do it now before it gets too bad and possibly irreversable.

I think this explains it fairly well here although there is a better report somewhere that someone here or on the Se7ens list posted previously. I just can't find it.

Edited: URL is not spelt ULR 😳

Edited by - V7 SLR on 8 Mar 2005 18:59:53

As a thought the problem only shows its self during & after winter, car is kept in a cold un heated garage separate from house.... wander if the pad material hardens on the disks over the winter due to lack of use ?

Alex - yes, it's extremely hard to stop the pads from attaching themselves to the discs during storage - I thought I'd cracked it on my tintop (stored for most of its life) by leaving the handbrake off - but even though the brakes aren't hot when I roll it into the garage, there's always a bit of a lurch when I move the car after a month or two.

Having said all that - there are a huge number of 7s that hibernate - and the problem rarely gets a mention in spring.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

The problem with stored cars is due to moisture.

This is absorbed into the friction material during storage and can increase the initial friction levels - at least until the pads have had some use and dryed out. If you leave the handbrake on the pads/shoes can attach themselves to the disk/drum. This will cause the brakes to be locked on (obviously *tongue*)

Most modern friction materials (used in mass produced vehicles) don't do this anymore. Some materials used by aftermarket suppliers still do - cheaper pads/shoes are worse than more expensive ones - GENERALLY SPEAKING.

This same phenomenon can cause friction material to transfer onto the disk surface during first use after storage. This will feel like warped disks - carefully cleaning with emery paper may clear it up. If you carry on driving the car it may well clear up on its own.

Justin *cool*

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Another great excuss for Dave Jacksons sprint excusses 😬

"would have gone faster but didn't have enough Garnet paper " 😬 😬 😬

Shaun, Peter thanks will have a go with Garnt paper if I can find some ?

Alex