Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Does anyone have ideas on how I can ...

FH

Go ex directory 😬

Ask your service provider if you can block calls from international callers 😬

what calls are you refering to? If it is cold calling you should ask to be removed from the list. they have to then remove you from the list BY LAW.

Register with the telephone preference service.

There is a BT service called "Choose to refuse"

When you've had a call from someone who you don't want to speak to (even if they've witheld their presentation number) you can type in a code number and in future all calls from that caller will be given a recorded msg saying that you don't wish to speak to them.

Not sure how well it will work with international "real caller id" rather than presentation numbers but it's worth asking BT *thumbup*

Have you joined the Telephone preference service (TPS) to stop UK cold calls ?

Paul

Supercheese R250

Caterham pictures here 😬

" they have to then remove you from the list BY LAW"

Unless the calls are obscene (or similar) it's the law in the originating country that would apply (and I wouldn't like to spend time tracking down the NZ equivalent of OFCOM to find out)

Paul

Supercheese R250

Caterham pictures here 😬

Thanks chaps! I must have received ten calls today from a variety of companies, BT included 😳 - one from some company who wished to know if we rented any of our electrical equipment *confused* five from systems which are dialling the number automatically but failing to then connnect to their call sentre staff, wasting my time and their money -

For obvious reasons, going EX-DIR isn't an option *tongue* 😬

FH *cool*

TPS is great (www.tpsonline.org.uk)

and MPS is also worth registering with (Mailing Preference Service). I've just registered myself at my previous addresses to stop future tenants from being bombarded with my mail.

I like sheep

BIG *thumbup* for TPS.

Even if it doesn't stop all of them, it's wonderfull fun asking them very slowly to repeat their name and then the name and address of their company and then thanking them very kindly for being so patient with you while you wrote down all the details necessary to report them to the TPS 😬

Silver SV SSR

Put them on to me FH. As you may recall, I am pretty good at getting rid of these people. *wink* 😬

If they persist I have a unique and, so far, 100% successful way of dealing with them. *tongue*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV. In the final weeks of gestation. 😬

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 8 Mar 2005 22:36:57

Do BT still do the thing where you can refuse calls from people who withhold their number? We used to have that set up and it did seem to stop most of the cold calls.

I've won three holidays in the last couple of weeks though, so I won't be doing it *tongue* 😬

*wink*

Rach

Edited by - Rachael on 9 Mar 2005 09:45:33

Oh that reminds me...had a call from a man trying to sell me a kitchen last night, he said "Oh hello Mrs Gay7" I nearly dropped the phone in the saucepan (I was cooking dinner at the time). Now I know I am a bit forgetful at the moment, but surely even I would remember getting married *confused*

*wink*

Rach

"but surely even I would remember getting married "

Can't you, I can, it was a lovely event, I wore a blue hat with feathers and shed a tear in the church. The reception was very nice too (except for Delberts dancing)

Ballast caught your bouqeut so PP has gone into hiding, either that or she's burried him under the patio

How was the honeymoon ?

Paul

Supercheese R250

Caterham pictures here 😬

...and... getting back on topic *tongue*

I have just spent five minutes talking with ***** 🙆🏻 from

First? Fist? Fust?...

"Could you spell that for me please?"

EFF... EYE... ZED... ZED... Telecom ...of I don't know where because they refused to tell me.

I would normally have put the phone down after a couple of minutes' of straining to understand what the bloke was trying to say - but I persevered *wink*

I can save loads of pounds off my rental and loads of pounds off my calls to other land phones and all mobiles by (fuzzy noises) amount for every call I make. If I give them my address, they will have all documentation *confused* to my address within 7 days.

"So, you have my address?"

"Yes"

"How many lines to do you have Ms FH?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"Beekoz, I can save large amounts of pounds for every line."

"How did you find my telephone number?"

"From BT's list"

"well, in that case, you already have your answer"

I ask for details of their whereabouts. "Why do you need that?", says bloke, who then presses button on head and adopts

I then refer to the Honourable Shedly Advisors' suggestions and get put through to the Manager. He refuses to give me their contact details.

*mad*

FH *cool*

I love having long chats with them if I'm not too busy, they never ring again!

The jehova's lot don't call anymore, it's great.

Just be really nice to them and firm about giving no commitment or data to them and they get bored.

If it's insurance get them to give a quote on the se7en. The last one I had struggled with her data base to find one and then went into lots of questions that i could be very obtuse about, e.g. "No. of doors?"

"none"

"None?"

It got better and better, especially when they asked if there were any features I wanted such as a courtesy car and I asked for track day use.

Buck the system, be idiosyncratic they can't cope.

Windy

Red and Black 1.8K

Windy, that's OK if you are a teacher and have lots of free time 😳 *tongue* 😬

FH,

Give BT a call and see about blocking calls from withheld numbers (people will still be able to get through, they just have to reveal their number first). It may not stop all of the calls, but will make it a little easier if you need to trace people after the event.

As already mentioned the telephone preference service does work - more details can be found here

Failing that, keep an attack alarm near the phone and let it off next time someone rings, I am sure your name will quickly be removed from the lists...

*wink*

Rach

Just lie to them.

I got a call yesterday from a well known double-glazing co.

"We're doing a survey, Mr Beaton, can you spare 2 minutes"

"But of course"

She now thinks I have 2 conservatories (I have none), replaced all my double glazing last year (bullsh1t), and my fascia boards are UPVC, done at the same time as the windows (utter tosh - mine are still wooden) *smile*

I can guarantee I won't receive any calls from this company for the next 10 years *thumbup*

Sssssscottish SsssuperSsssnot!

Ssssneakypeek! *arrowright* whooooaaaa! *wink*