Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mystery wire on 1999 1.8SS

John Vine

There's a mystery wire on my 1999 1.8SS. It's a single, black/yellow lead, about 10" long, emerging from the NSF end of the loom along with the leads to the NS headlamp and indicator repeater, and terminates in a sealed rubber sleeve. I discovered it (while preparing to lift the engine out) dangling rather too close to the alternator, but don't recall seeing it at all during kit building. The wiring diagram in the handbook makes no reference to it. Is it simply redundant? If not, where should it go?

JV

Well, it's certainly long enough to reach the Apollo sender, but where does the other end of the wire emerge? I've looked under the dash, and can't see any "spare" wires.

I fitted an Apollo some months ago, and the kit included a wire to connect the sender to a two-way dip-type switch (to enable the existing water temp gauge to be used for oil and water temp alternately). The fitting instructions didn't mention the possibility of using an existing wire, so could this wire be for something else?

JV