Click here if you are having website access problems ×

urgent question for Roger King et all re oil pressure

groutledge

Roger I hope you get this before I go to spa on Sunday!.

After we set the pressure to 5bar today i went for a spin this evening to try and get a few more miles on before I go. As i was driving i was keeping an eye on the oil pressure to make sure all was OK when i noticed it was back to just over 6 bar again, this was after a enough time for the engine to warm up ( about 15-20mins ). I was on the A12 holding about 4000rpm when the pressure dropped back to 5bar then rose back to just over 6. Any ideas?

I thought it may be the oil stat opening and introducing a different more restrictive path for the oil, but once it had risen it stayed on the high side even at low rpm, and at idle it was holding 2bar.

- How do you adjust the pressure? do you take the domed nut off, undo the lock nut and screw it in to reduce pressure? if so how much should I screw it in?

- If it has a pressure release valve in the pump could this be sticking maybe and if this so could this explain the varying oil pressure? or is the oil stat opening/closing more probable.?

- If it stays at just over 6bar on the track is this a problem? if it is isn't what pressure is? I've heard rumours the seals on a crossflow are good for 100psi which is about 6.8 bar?

Graham Routledge