Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Zetec mods: Which? Help!!

yankeedoodoo

I bought an slr with a 2L zetec which I would like to put out about 200hp. The parts must be sourced in GB---though I live in California. I would appreciate any zetec owners responses about the various engine part suppliers (R. King, Dunnell, Raceline, Burton, etc.) as well as who is best able to supply the necessary bits for installation (Whiting, Noble, R. King, etc.). Any suggestions on the best 3D mapping choice(s) would be immensely useful. As an alternative, would it be possible to get a ali Duratec and might this be better? I hereby agree to buy a round of cervezas for all who respond and participate in the California tour next year. Thank you for all responses and additional suggestions.

I have an 1800 Zetec on throttle bodies that I got from Scholar Engines (Contact Alan Waldropper 01449 767711) using an MBE box and a 2L engine on carbs in my race car.

You can get to around 200bhp with new cams, a skimmed head and throttle bodies. For insurance use ARP conrod bolts and it will rev safely to 7900. A stell flywheel is a worthwhile investment.

There are no bits yet available for the Duratec

The car in front is a Westfie1d wink.gif

Yankeedoodoo, fit kent 2002 cams and you can keep the hydraulic tappets. They make quite a difference and give good torque figures from 3K on. Make sure you fit heavy duty rod bolts, I fitted ARP ones from Burtons but had to machine the bearing caps slightly to get them to fit. Talk to James Whiting, he's very helpful.

Everyone will have their own story on this one, but I have had some sucess with Piper cams whoich run on the stock followers, porting the head paying particular attention to the valve throats and straightening the exhaust ports, with TBs and a decent 4-2-1 manifold this made just over 200BHP and a large wodge of torque.

I have some detailed pictures of the head work kicking around somewhere, and the spec of the cams together with a dyno curve, the bottom end was stock other than uprated rod bolts. The output was considerably up on the Dunnell engine on the dyno immediately before.

Oily

Doesn't the Duratec have the exhaust on the "wrong" (ie drivers side) when installed in a Se7en....

I was thinking more about the new bonnet/new chassis skin you'd need once you've drilled inlet and exhaust holes opposite where they are nowwink.gif I doubt they could be filled/covered very prettily or successfully........

Hi,

I've an 1800 zetec and would recomend James Whiting, mainly for the no-nonsense advice and sensible prices. Have also dealt with Burtons, and intend doing so again for upgraded cams (Kent 2002) and con-rod bolts (ARP) Didn't know caps needed machining though. Metal Mickey, more info please.

Regards,

allen

I've just got some ARP bolts for my Zetec. The big end caps have to be reamed for the shanks of the bolts to fit. I have some Kent cams 2001 grinds. Opted for these as my engine is an 1800 cc which will be in daily use. I've had a ride in Metal Mickey's 2lt 200 bhp+ car and it is very tractable and docile (until you hit the loud pedal).

These engines respond very well to porting and slightly bigger valves. The stock head flows around 102 cfm at 10". With porting 125 cfm is easily obtained which is more than enough for 200 bhp. With properly installed bigger valves even more is possible. Should be 100% reliable with 100/110 bhp per litre.

AMMO

Allen, had to take 10thou out of the caps to get the bolt heads to seat properly. Contacted Burtons at the time and they hadn't experienced this before so can't comment if this is neded in every case. If anyones interested in larger valves for the Zetec contact Ammo on this forum, he usually has them in stock.

Mike.