Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Anti-cav tank (Apollo) hoses fouling block

CHRIS CLARK

Has anyone who has fitted this device to a 'K' series been concerned about the way that the inner (next to block) hose fouls on a part of said block? I am tempted to cut/grind/saw the excess part away to give better clearance. Yes? If the Caterham instructions had made mention of this I could have saved some time and grief and done it before the engine was fitted!

The alternator lower support/adjuster bracket also is not really very good as that gets in the way too. I think the later ones may be OK. I have both early 'K' and later versions, but I am inclined to stay with the earlier type. Reason:- the earlier one has a larger pulley diameter and a 'better' front cooling fan.

Edited by - chris clark on 8 Oct 2001 00:34:40

I fitted an Apollo some months back to my '99 1.8K and haven't noticed any problems yet with hose fouling (although I agree the fit is mighty tight). However, I'm about to lift the engine out to replace a clapped-out clutch release bearing (another story), so if you can wait a week or so, I should be able to give you a more accurate opinion.

JV

Chris,

I to had this problem and found it necessary to file away the offending boss on the block. This removed the stress off the oil pipes and allowed the sandwich plate seat as it should giving an oil tight seal.

Rob.

Edited by - Rob walker on 7 Oct 2001 12:33:32

Thanks Rob & Peter.

Umm; I was thinking of going over to the smaller alternator as my 1.4 (transferred) unit is the larger Rover with the three contact type plug.New loom is the two wire type; typical! Have just been given though a brand new later Rover unit so will use that as a trial.

Have examined another 1800 block out of the car (thanks Mick S) and I too thought there'd be no harm in removing some of that section.

We'll give it a go!!!

I would go the smaller alt. route Peter if it weren't for the free giftthumbsup.gif

Out of interest, does it use the same top support bracket or what?

Chris,

I promised you an update when I'd removed my engine...

Even though the inboard pipe touches the crankcase, I can't see any trace of damage or wear. In fact, the pipe ends in a metal crimped sleeve, and this is what contacts the block, so there seems no likelihood of damage to the rubber. Hope this helps.

JV