Click here if you are having website access problems ×

quick apollo question

Kevsta

hi, does anybody know the thread and bore hole size I need to tap into the cam cover for the apollo breather pipe? Its not with me but its at a plave being shot blasted and I've just realised I can get this done while its there.

Cheers

Kev

It's not a tapped hole in the rocker cover. Something tells me it was a 3/8" unf fitting as I replaced the std nut indside the cam cover with an aerotight as a precaution. Not 100% on that though so you should check yourself.

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

Edited by - Mr Locust on 7 Mar 2005 12:48:41

• Support Team

Kev - hole isn't tapped so you can drill it yourself. The fitting passes through the hole and a nut with lock washer goes on the inside of the cam cover. Make sure you loctite it - heaven forbid the nut comes off *eek*.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

heaven forbid the nut comes offeek smiley

Hmm - not the end of the world as I understand it (having had the cam-cover off rather too many times recently).

There isn't really anywhere for it to go, is there? The gasket is almost completely unperforated.

You *would* get a rather messy oil-leak and clouds of smoke as aerated oil sprayed over the exhaust though...

I'm not suggesting that you *don't* loctite it, but it's not quite in the same league as losing a nut into the induction-system.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

You could do as suggested on here a long while ago - reverse the fitting so the nut goes on the outside - so even if the nut loosens, the hose fitting should ensure it hangs on. Of course if you fail to notice the hose falling off . . . .

Alternatively, get the aerotight effect for nowt by either squashing the nut in a vice a touch, or braying hell out of the nipple with a hammer to deform the threads . . .

Being a sensible soul, I reversed the fitting, used a scnorr lock washer and a touch of threadlock - it's not come loose yet!

Bri