Click here if you are having website access problems ×

de dion ears and cr500s

Mark Piper

I have searched the archives first but can't find anything specific about this...

I'm swapping ACB 10s for CR 500s. Someone told me that I don't need to replace the de dion ears. Can anyone confirm whether this is true? I do have a set of "radial" ears in any case....

No Mark. CR500's work quite well on ACB10-ears. I'm sure you could improve upon it with more camber but it seems fine, plus if you are using them on the road you'll get more even wear across the width of the tyre with the ACB10-settings.

I was going to say how well mine performed yesterday but the roads were so cold that I didn't really attack any corners with gusto.

I suspect this depends on your intended usage. For hard track work insufficient camber will result in the outside edge of the tyre wearing away very quickly. I also suspect Mark already knows this, so he's probably asking "what's the recommended rear camber setting for a CR500".

Mike

l have had cr500 with S7 500 rim new with my new s7 de dion,

don't forget you won't do more than 5 to 6.000 km with those tyres , without not a single track days... and not too "good" on wet ....

also you will have to try a lot of tyres pressure to find the good one.....

for the rear not to oversteer...

good luck *confused*

Wouldn't have said the CR500 was an ideal track tyre to be honest so I was sort of coming from the position that it was going to be used mostly on road.

Hard track work will destroy a CR500 pretty quickly. Much better to go for something with more rubber in contact with the ground.

Petrol,

I would say that the CR500 was an excellent trackday tyre. The new tyre will be used in all Caterham motorsport (ex Academy) this year. So if its good enought for a R400 racecar I'd say it would be good enough for your average trackday.

OK guys. I have run CR500s on both road and track for 7,000 miles on my old SLR. I had both original and green band CR500s (the latter have much superior wear characteristics).

My observations - firstly Bernard, I have never had any of the problems with CR500s that you appear to have had. I have to admit I have never understood any of your postings on this forum *confused*

IMHO Cr500s are great road tyres - predictable breakaway in the wet and superb dry road grip. All at standard 18 psi.

On trackdays with CR500s, I found that the fronts would overheat eventually - the rears were OK. When overheating they grained and the tread smeared, increasing understeer. Leave them to cool and they were fine.

As Nigel surmises, I am swapping tyres for use on the road. The ACB10s are going onto a set of SLR rims for exclusively track use and the CR500s are on MB rims for exclusively road use.

So I want the optimal setup for road use and am prepared to swap ears if the concensus is that this is better. And it would be useful to know what the recommended camber setting would be for the rear...

I have just change to 0.5 ears as I will be running acb10 for sprinting this year. I am also continue using my CR500 on the road and do not expect any real issues with this, only time will tell.

I am sure someone that sprints on acb 10 and has cr500 will know.

David

And the CR500's that they will use this season are an all new compound not even available yet (frustrating for the racers who want to test). So all the comments above are about the old compound so comments along the lines of you're all talking b*ll*cks 'cos the R400 boys will be using them next year are unhelpful.

The new CR500's are currently available and have been for 2 weeks, the compound is also the same as the 11050 tyre its the construction that has changed. The tyre wall has been made substantially stiffer to reduce flex under load.

Testing has shown quicker lap times with no disenable increase in wear.