Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Wilwood Powerlite

TorAtle

here

Sexy looking caliper, light at around 1kg and a resonable price. Rally design do a kit here, 268+VAT which at least include 265mm solid discs. Don't know if brackets are included (or required) - probably not pads though.

I've sent them an email so we'll see in a few days what is included in the kit and if it is a straight fit.

Dust seals are not fitted to this caliper, most owners of this type of vehicle usually have a high attention to cleanliness and the additional weight/complexity of dust seals did not seem appropriate - if dust seals are required, then please use the Midilite caliper.

In other words - not appropriate for road use... *thumbdown*

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I don't understand the dust seals. The pistons doesn't move in'n'out, they move out. Clean them before pushing them in when changing pads.

I've looked at the drawing of the Powerlite and the kit must come with a bracket. Single calipers are 80 each, a 265mm solid disc is perhaps around 35, that leaves about 40 pounds for the brackets which seem about right.

Weightwise, caliper is 1kg, bracket I assume less than 0.5kg, 265mm disc somewhat heavier than the Triumph one. About 1kg lighter than standard and with greater stopping power for not much money.

I'll get back with more info when I hear from Rally Design.

You don't need dust seals for road use. I ran Wilwood Dynalites (no dust seals) on my Pug 205 for 4 years. Used all year round, 10k miles a year, never cleaned them once and they were fine.

Here's the response:

"The kit includes (2) Powerlite 4-pot ally calipers, (2) 265x10 solid discs,

(2) caliper mount brackets and all nuts/bolts/unions #268.00+VAT

'Smart' pads to suit (road use/track days) # 20.00+VAT

We were supplied a Caterham hub/upright, but I am uncertain as to whether

Caterham have made any recent changes. We checked kit on Superlite 13" rims,

clearance is fine."

Does anyone know if there's been any changes to the upright at all in the last 10 years or so? The other question would be if the standard 13" Minator offers less space for the caliper than the Superlite they tested...

I forgot to ask about piston size. I assume they are using the 35.1mm ones, which in total is about 7% more than the standard Triumph caliper (48mm?).

One question though about changing front brakes in general. The total piston size and pad material is altered. Upping piston size means a more rearward bias, while pad material will drive bias either way. So short of buying a complete front & rear brake kit, won't we ideally need a bias adjuster?

Increased piston area in these calipers will shift the balance to the front - fronts will lock earlier i.e at lower decel' or 'g' value. Check piston diameter plus number of pistons on each pad.

Dust seals add durability and reduce chances of leaks.

Full excluders (as on all mass production cars/calipers) are the best in terms of durability, followed by dust seals. With neither fitted the caliper will be prone to seal damage and ultimately fluid leakage unless cleaned and maintained regularly.

As Myles said, pistons do move in and out. Also corrosion will travel along the piston surface and can cut/rip up the seals quite easily - particular problem come pad changes etc...

be aware of the risks *eek* *wink*

Justin *cool*

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

It is pressure not volume that is the issue.

The pressure created in the master cylinder acts over a larger area in the caliper pistons - hence more force.

However you are correct about fluid movement more fluid will be required for a given caliper movement so the pedal will feel a little softer.

Nick