Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Econoseal connectors - absolutely necessary?

Dirty Den

I've got a set of SVC lights to fit to my car. Taken one of the old lights off and ready to fit the new one.

The SVC light comes with bullet connectors on the end of the wiring instead of pins for an econoseal connector. I've tried my local motor factors and Halfords, but they couldn't help - didn't have any. Is it OK to use bullet connectors in the headlight and indicator wiring, or can anyone suggest where I can get new econoseal connectors from?

Thanks,

Den

http://www.dens7.co.uk

Edited by - Dirty Den on 6 Mar 2005 13:51:02

Bullets are truly nasty, they corrode and stop making contact after a few weeks. They then rust solid and the wires pull out when you want to separate them to clean them up. I'd rather solder the wires together (and then cut and resolder if they ever have to come off) than use bullets.

If you can get genuine mating plugs from Caterham then do. If not then buy a plug and socket in mating halves from VWP or wherever and cut the plugs off the loom and redo both halves. Anything but use bullet connectors.

• Support Team

My SVC lights which arrived on Friday have the pins to go into the Econoseal connectors. Did you tell SVC your lights were for a Caterham? I'd have a chat with them tomorrow.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Thanks for the warning about bullet connectors *thumbup* *eek*

I did mention to SVC that the lights were for a Caterham, I guess they might have not been able to change the connectors. Not worried, the lights seem very nice indeed and I'm very pleased with them. I guess I could have a word with them and see if they have a few econoseal connectors lying around that they could send, if not, I'll try Caterham.

Thanks all,

Den

http://www.dens7.co.uk

I'm sure there is a special tool but I have managed to do it with a pair of fine pointed nose pliers. I used these to bend each prong on the pin into the correct shape and then to close it down onto the cable. Don't simply crush the whole thing as it probably won't then go into the plug.

Steve.

Den,

Good result *thumbup*. I presume you bought the smaller lamps. I so much prefer these to the std 7" ones. When you put two sevens side by side with each type the 7" ones just look hugely out of proportion with the car.

Steve.