Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dry sump kit question - what is the black alloy pulley for?

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Have refitted engine and connected everything up but I have a black alloy pulley which doesn't seem to have a use and is not described anywhere in the instructions. Does anyone know what this is for? I wondered if it were for the belt tensioner but that has a plastic pulley fitted to it (pulley does not have a U section around the circumference). The pulley I have "spare" has a U section which is about the right width for the pump belt.

Engine is K series in case that makes a difference.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Support Team

Is it essential to replace the wheel on the tensioner or is that just a belt and braces job? Might have helped if the instructions had mentioned it! Everything is on the car now - can the tensioner be removed without taking the whole lot off?

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I don't know if it is essential, the parts guy at Caterhams told be about it when I picked the kit up. Check with them tomorrow.

You should be able to remove the tensioner after the belt is off without removing anything else (although the bolts are behind the pulley and might be difficult to undo.)

I'm intrigued. I have noticed a couple of newer Se7ens than my late 99 SLR which have a channeled tensioner puller for the DS system. Mine has lived successfully on the old plastic version for ~26K miles and yet I'm drawn to an alloy one with a channel in it.

Did Caterham parts explain why they thought it was necessary? Have they experienced belts slipping off the version I have?

• Support Team

cheers - I'll talk to Caterham tomorow. If it is OK with the plastic pulley I'll leave it but if Caterham say otherwise I guess I'll have to change it.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

It s a five minute job to switch it. Crank the tensioner back, in stick the pin back in, undo the existing tensioner centre bolt (its not that tight), stick it in a vice and hacksaw thru the placcy bit, ditto on the opposite side, retrieve the bearing, slide bearing into new pulley, insert circlip and bolt it back on again, then remove pin.

If they've gone to the trouble of making it.... you'll only be offered threpence to refund it!