Click here if you are having website access problems ×

HELP! Got a noise after Snetterton???

PAUL MARRIOTT

Had a fantastic blast at Snetterton yesterday, but on the way home found a noise in the engine. It comes in at 3900 - 4000 RPM in any gear, its not related to load or effort just revs. It sounds just like the brake disc rubbing, in fact I had heard it during the day and thought that that was what it was. The car feels perfectly normal otherwise and when the noise comes in continues to feel fine, no vibration or splutters,just the "spinning metal noise". Has anybody got any hints as to where I should start my search please?

Paul M

K7 PDM

I assume the noise appears when the car is stationary. So its something under the bonnet - the engine or connected to it. Bearings? Alternator, water pump, oil pump?

You don't say what the engine is - but if its a Xflow, I'd start with the alternator, and check the bolts and brackets, 'cos they break/fall out/vibrate and make strange noises.

Dave H

I assume the noise appears when the car is stationary. So its something under the bonnet - the engine or connected to it. Bearings? Alternator, water pump, oil pump?

You don't say what the engine is - but if its a Xflow, I'd start with the alternator, and check the bolts and brackets, 'cos they break/fall out/vibrate and make strange noises.

Dave H