Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help & comments please on Suretrack

kenny.

I purchased a Suretrack lsd a couple of years back (from the people who supply Caterham with them supposedly re-con). Diff looked great and we fitted it at Europa Engineering, next morning large pool of diff oil under car. Phoned supplier who said it was obviously main diff seal (that checked out), he put new one in the post and said he'd pay 4 hours labour to fit it.....I thought that was good of him.

On examination of old seal and mating surfaces everything looked perfect with no signs of grief anywhere (alarm bells rang). Anyway we re-fitted unit with new seal and sure enough next day same again..big pool of oil.

Needed the car for a sprint at the weekend so used it, indeed did the complete season..with oil on floor every time car was stood.

Did go to Europa to have it filled a couple of times (easier there with 4 poster and pressure pump to fill).......two years later my question is.....

I have not been near a track this year and only used car on road, I have not filled it for a year and leak is not as bad.

I am now assuming that if it is a gravity leak, it can only leak if oil is above bottom of seal.....if so and oil is now below bottom of seal do you think there is enough in it.....I'm a bit paranoid about it possibly siezing up, although it's silent and functioning perfectly.......reason why I'm not checking it out is that I had a back op. last year (100% fit again now) but don't want to be mauling on floor again just yet......thanks for advice.

Kenny HPC

PS I'm classing the "main diff seal" as the large round one at front/prop end.

Have you checked to make sure the breather in the axle is clear.

If this is blocked you will build up pressure in the Diff when you use the car also when there are temperature differences the same pressure build up can happen.

This would have the effect of pushing the oil out through the seal.