Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New build...which engine??

Topwelshman

cheers guys, i'll make some calls today. I'll have to do some research on Q plates. If I was looking to buy 2nd hand I wouldn't want a Q plate unless it was substantially cheaper so it might be a case of pay more for a current plate now but get it back at the other end, in which case there's no real saving. But, on the other hand it'd be nice now to have it built to a budget.Mmmh!

XL Motorsport....Racing into the Future

you are allowed 2 major used components on a regular registration .

You should have come to the club meet last night - there were people there who have been through this process .

The first things you need to decide in my opinion is what is your budget , what do you want to use it for - and do regulations for championships apply ? and do you want it road registered at all ? and is residuels a big concern for you ?

Dave

Hi Dave,

I was all set to come & then had a problem on site & had to go to Oxford to sort it out. I was really looking forward to meeting you all & picking your brains.

I want to raod reg it so i can blat about on sundays, residuals are a concern but I suppose only really matter if the drop in the RV is proportionately alot more than the reduction in build cost.

Didn't realise it was 2 major components, I thought it was only 1, that offers alot more scope for savings

Edited by - Topwelshman on 4 Mar 2005 11:30:45

I wouldn't order a carbon dash, they are illegal in most classes of caterham racing for safety reasons. They are also very difficult to remove as they are bonded to the chassis with yackum.

Also I'd read the all the relevant regs from http://www.caterhamracing.com .

Depending on which series you want to enter will determine whether you are allowed wide track / LSD etc. Appollo is always a good idea.

BC

It's all a bit confusing....The R400 Regs clearly state that you can't upgrade from a standard road car to the spec & the Roadsport Regs say that the chassis has to be one of the following

CRD98RK

CRD01.5RK

CRD02RR

CRD03RR

Looking at the chassis nos. i'm reading this to mean that it has to be a "Completely knocked down" kit not a starter kit, which I think means that i'd have to have a full kit of all parts incl the engine from them to be eligible.

In the Graduate Regs it states "All cars must use the standard Caterham chassis & bodywork as originally supplied for cars manufactured to comply with these regulations"

I've sent clarification to CC as this seems to imply that I cannot race if I source the parts mysef. This would seem highly unfair & tie you into spending more money than needed with CC & that is not sporting.

Any comments?

To get a current reg you are only allowed one used part and you must be able to prove that that part has been reconditioned as new.

Now there are ways around this. For instance you could get a used diff, give it to someone to fit a LSD and get it back along with a reciept for "New LSD".......

Likewise a used type 9 in exchange for a "new gearbox" from BGH or SPC

The engine is probably going to have to be to a certain spec for the race series........as said before study the regs

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

I`m not surprised about the CKD thing. Caterham have a race series to promote the cars but also to make money. By stipulating that all parts must be supplied by them they not only control the spec of the cars but they ensure that all money spent goes their way............good business sense I guess

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

It's good business especially considering the numbers racing, but, it's not sporting. We have scrutineers to ensure the cars are fit & to spec so there's no need for them to control the flow of parts. I can't see the difference between building it yourself using parts sourced from elsewhere as long as those parts are the same as fitted to other cars & are Caterham parts.

It's good business especially considering the numbers racing, but, it's not sporting. We have scrutineers to ensure the cars are fit & to spec so there's no need for them to control the flow of parts. I can't see the difference between building it yourself using parts sourced from elsewhere as long as those parts are the same as fitted to other cars & are Caterham parts.

I was thinking along the same lines about getting around the new parts bit

Hi Topwelshman I bought A starter kit A christmas and fitted a Zetec and its great no worries about head gasgets the engine it unbreakerble it looks the part in the car like the old Lotus twincam im very pleased with it ,up to now the car has cost me £14,000 and that with all the Raceline parts sump, Jenve throttle bodys and Gem management, water rail and plumbing,also BGH Geartech E2 gearbox, I think for long term reliability the Zetec is built to last so put A Zetec in and Let me say thanks to Chris at Raceline for all his help cheers Paul

Too late, I went for a K on the basis I could race it next year if I want!! The graduates have confirmed that as long as its to the same spec then it will be eligible, still waiting to hear from Roadsports & this is where I would want to go!

Too late, I went for a K on the basis I could race it next year if I want!! The graduates have confirmed that as long as its to the same spec then it will be eligible, still waiting to hear from Roadsports & this is where I would want to go! If sourcing the engine & gearbox mysellf prevents me from racing then I might cancel the order. 🙆🏻

Edited by - Topwelshman on 5 Mar 2005 19:38:55

Just one more thing about Roadsports (although personally, I'm dubious of them saying that this is ok) - priority for RSB goes to the previous Academy year and it's very likely to be oversubscribed so at a minimum you will probably have to target Inters. Going straight into Inters is probably a exciting way to get into racing *eek*

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary

My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

Yes,i've seen it & have a put a few posts up asking for advice. Yes, i'd want to go for RS Inter or A & have not had confirmation from them yet that it would be eligible, only Graduates have confirmed it would be ok. It doesn't make sense, if my car would be eligible for Grads & you can upgrade a grads car to a Roadsports, then why can't my car be eligible if I source the engine & gearbox myself?? £3,500 for a K is extortionate when I can get a decent very low mileage one for less than half that

Edited by - Topwelshman on 6 Mar 2005 11:12:21

Edited by - Topwelshman on 6 Mar 2005 11:14:07

Basically, Caterham run the series and they make the rules. To put it another way, why would Caterham want to encourage non-Caterham sourced major car components to race in their series when they are oversubscribed as they are??

Grads have a different agenda and, as I would expect, they tend to be slightly less pescriptive on requirements.

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary

My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

• 5 weeks later...

the purpose of the Academy is to sell 50+ cars a year, also keeping the factory busy in the 'off' season.

the purpose of Roadsports B is to sell upgrades to ex Academists at £1000 a pop

the purpose of Inters is......ditto

Roadsports A.....

R400s...

"you do the math"

Martin

2004 ex-Academy car going on Roadsports B...

If everything's under control you're going too slow (Emmerson Fittipaldi)