Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ride height adjusters - Bilsteins

KenEvans

I want to drop my ride height for hillclimbing and sprinting. I currently have the standard non-adjustable Bilsteins as supplied with my DeDion Caterham during 2000.

Is the ride height lowering kit as sold by Caterham online in their parts section the right approach? Are they relatively fast and easy to fit?

Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

I am thinking the same thing, but want to raise my car slightly, not lower it. I put a post up a couple of weeks ago.

The kit from Caterham is one option, however the fixed spring seats are held by circlips in grooves on the damper body. These can be moved up or down a notch. I'm not sure if you can get spring compressors on without removing the unit from the car - if you can this is a very quick job.

The adjustable seats allow corner weights to be set for the car. I'll leave it to someone who knows what they are talking about to comment on that - but it apparently gets you round the sprint track a little faster.

The kit from Caterham, fitted is £250 IIRC, plus the cost of flatfloor/corner weight set up.

Second hand adjustable platforms seem to be hot property. Maybe if enough of us want them we can get a cheap deal from Bilstein.

cheers

Jonathan

Edited by - JonathanG on 4 Oct 2001 09:06:10

You will not get conventional spring compressors on a 7 damper.

You need a device the whole damper fits into. Most of the 7 service agents have these.

Only some Bilsteins have the multiple position circlips - many have only 1 groove. Even on the multi groove version, the grove spacings are too far apart to be much use. They (Caterham) used to sell 1.75" ID metal rings which coule be used as shims between the spring and the platform, but they were pretty useless.

The Alloy adjustable kit is good, but I'm not sure you don't need new springs (larger dia) in order to fit them.