Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Silencer heatshield

JAG

I don't have one and need one to satisfy the SVA man.

He says it will hide the mounting bolt (at the back) and cover the Lambda sensor blanking plug - both have sharp edges on them ☹️ He isn't concerned with the burn potential *confused*

Anyway my question is;

how long is the heatshield front to back?

Could you do a quick measure for me?

I have a 6" diameter, standard Caterham, silencer. I may make my own bespoke version but if a standard part will do the job I may be on the look out for a second hand part.

Justin *cool*

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

The going rate for a SH one is about £20. At that it hardly seems worth spending a lot of time building one. I'm happy I fitted one to my car, the weight is minimal and it reduces the chance and severity of any burns. Remember your chances of getting your leg over any female passengers are diminished if you have to take them to casualty instead of a restaurant. *wink*

Justin,

I've got one here somewhere (I think - unless I took it to Cheltenham where my lockup is).

You would be welcome to borrow it if it's here (I don't use the thing) - but we cut down the rear-edge so that it ended up the same length as the can (normally, it's slightly longer) -not sure Mr. SVA would be happy about the edge on it.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Thanks for the replies Guys.

Myles; I guess your probably right about the edge for SVA, Thanks for the offer.

Mick; Thanks for having a look, I'll check back here in the morning.

Leaving the heatshield off was my Wifes Idea - having read BOSS answer I can see why she suggested it know 😬 😬 *eek*

Justin *cool*

Thanks for that Mick.

at 75cm it's a little bit shorter than I need, either the rear mounting/bolt wouldn't be covered or the Lambda sensor boss wouldn't be covered ☹️

I did some measurement last night and to cover both items I would need a heatshield 85cm long.

Thanks again everyone - I'm off to my local Metal Supermarket to buy some Ali' sheet and get metal bashing *wink*

PS it's £8.95 for a sheet big enough to make an 850 x 250 x 2mm thick heat shield + vat and hard work.

Justin *cool*