Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

BUBBLES IN BRAKE FLUID

Midnight

I've just changed the brake fluid on my car, but the trouble is in spite of a number of bleeding sessions there still seems to be a air (very tiny bubbles) in the fluid. I've checked all the unions and all are tight. does anybody know where air might be being introduced into the system. I kept the master cylinder well topped up throughout the process but after using a complete large bottle of fluid there are still bloody bubbles appearing. its strange though, because the brake pedal feels nice and hard with minimum travel. Anybody got any ideas?? P.S. I used the old fashion two person method not one of the ezibleed contraptions, which alwayS appear to spray fluid everywhere!

With time the bubbles will rise and merge. Bleeding all the time stirs things up, so leave it for a couple of days, then try again. If the pedal feel is good, then there can't be too much air in the system.

SEP field working, not spotted in 103,100 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 25 Jan

Air getting in the nipple is the most likely cause; you might think that this couldn't happen cos the fluid is above Atmospheric pressure, but it gets dragged in due to the Bernoulli Effect. (kinda like a venturi). Put plumbers PTFE tape on the nipple threads (not too much, say 2 turns ), refit the nipple and it stops it. *thumbup*

Thanks for the advice guys, I sort of suspected that it might be air getting in via the bleed nipples if too loose. trouble is if you don't open them enough you need two feet press the pedal down. I'll wait a day or so and have a final bash.

Kevsull, Bubbles is probably happier in brake fluid than in the kind that Michael might have in store for him.