Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 split rims

masha

Re. R500 split rims 6.5 & 8.5" rears

I've been trying to acquire some SLR split rims but have now found I can't because they're not made anymore.

Therefore I have 2 questions re. the R500 split rims:

a) who manufactures them and can they be bought factory direct?

b) is there an option of alloy instead of magnesium centre sections (as with the original SLR rim) to cut down on cost

c) does anyone make a 'very similar' alloy replica rim to either SLR or R500 in the same size that anyone knows of.

thanks in advance as always for any input on the topic

M

Phone Mike Barnby engineering 01634 711801 Rochester kent. Yes he will deal direct. He can make the wheels any width and any offset, within reason. I am not sure if Ali centres can be done though, although Mike has had one-off reclica cast wheels made from scratch so it may be possible.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 3 Oct 2001 08:52:53

If Mike can't help then for similar wheels you could do worse than deal with Image wheels. They have a huge range of split rim wheels with cast aluminium, billet aluminium and magnesium options. They also do a big range of patterns, no doubt some are similar to the R500 wheels, I doubt any are as unattractive as the SLR wheels (ducks back.....)

Image are on www.imagewheels.co.uk or 0121 522 2442.

MB now produces a slightly cheaper aluminium centred wheel in the R500 style. This has a weight penalty of about 0.5kg per corner which leaves a 6.5*13 wheel at 3.96kgs(rather than 3.46kg).

Also, Mike has a diamond finishing machine which can be used to cut back the outer surface of the aluminium spokes to a bright finish which can the be lacquered by a company just down the road from him.

BC

Smashing - thanks for the response.

I've followed up a couple of leads and can confirm that the R500mags are available factory direct for the princely sum of £175ea® £165ea(f) - if you collect from factory at Rochester Kent. Oh yes, add 85p for each split rim bolt needed too. Standard wheel is polished alloy rimmed with black mag section (forgot to ask if they've got that 'orrible lacquer on the alloy).

It would be intersting for the club to see if a bulk order could reduce this further I'm sure there would be plenty of interest.

I'll be following-up the last thread to check out the 'look-a-like' alloy version available too for comparison - thanks.

All that remains now is finding a cheap source of tyre: either ACB10s CR500s or Yoko032Rs in the appropriate 13x8.5" size

cheers for now chaps

Matthew