Click here if you are having website access problems ×

De Dion tube broken - available?

jf_renard

Hi everyone.

My '90 LHD BDR De Dion tube broke quite in the middle.

Not yet out of the car for further investigation (car was "abandoned" in a garage 100km from home).

I'm waiting for an answer from CC, but maybe one of you experts can tell me:

I know there are 2 types of shock absorber mountings:

- through the DD tube (older chassis, with "short" dampers)

- little welded tube beneathe the DD tube (latest chassis, with "long" dampers)

The question is: Are the 2 types of DD tubes available?

As my dampers are "short" non adjustable ones and my funds are also "short", I would obviously prefer to source the "dampers through the DD tube" type of DD tube.

Thank you in advance for the answers.

Jeff.

They only make the long tube for new cars these days.

Parts may keep both in but don't count on it. If not then I would contact Arch directly

ask for Bruce and I am sure when explained they would be happy to make you one with both fittings.

Out of interest what age was the car and what type of tube?

The early ones are pretty flimsy and have a very small centre buttress (risky even expecting that to support the weight of the car on a jack at the a frame bush).

Jack the diff instead.

Had only centre mounts for dampers. Early De dion have this tube.

The next type have a larger buttress and are pretty strong but can fail at the extra tack on mounting points for the longer prgressive dampers. OK to jack at the A frame in my experience. I have this type but use the through the damper mount in preference.

I believe there are earlier verisions of this type without the tack on damper mounts too.

The latest type is seemingly twice and heavy and twice as strong and only has the long much strengthened damper mounting points. Probably indestructable.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

At least:

Very early - 2 piece buttress - as photo above, never seen this one before!

Early - narrow buttress, centre shock mounts - my '93 car had one of these

Next (from around '94) - wide buttress, centre shock mounts - much stronger

No 4 (from '96 chassis change?) - wide buttress, lower shock mounts introduced but have both shock mounts fitted

Current - wide buttress, lower shock mounts only, 10mm wider track, thicker steel (heavier)

Could well be some others between my No 4 and current, original width and lower mounts only is a distinct possibility.

Plus of course SV de dion tubes which are lots wider.

Edited by - Chelspeed on 28 Feb 2005 18:30:28

• Leadership Team

JF - I snapped my de dion in June and I was sent the wrong replacement. Make sure you get the tube with the bolts that go through the bar and do not screw into the tube. If you get the newer tube the car will sit too low. Mine took about three weeks to come through. *thumbup*

Rog

C7, I've worked on other early De dion's like this one. Not sure I'd rate it in the strong dept.

Rog/Elie... that's why I would go to Arch directly and get a strong one made up to suit the car rather than adapt the car to the new tube.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 28 Feb 2005 19:54:16

Not a pleasant experience, having a de dion tube break. Mine went in France last year and I still worry about what could have happened.

Caterham Midlands swore it was " one size fits all " which threw me until I took advice off Blatchat and forced them to order the right part.

The only bits of advice from a numpty are replace the bottom damper bolts - mine were in a dangerous state. And Copaslip evrything on assembly, this transformed the noisy suspension squeaks.

As mentioned in an earlier reply the later tubes are much more robust than the one fitted to my '93 car which appears to have been made from pressed dog muck.

On a Summer's day walk fellow blatters down the garden with a beer and show them your broken tube = people go very quiet!!!

Thanks for all your useful replies.

Tube is now delivered, car back in my garage.

Tomorrow I plan to take the broken tube out of the car.

I will then take measurements to be sure it's the right one (fingers crossed...).

If it's OK, I will be on the road on sunday!!!

Thanks again

Jeff