Click here if you are having website access problems ×

'Best' List 1A tyre width for 7x13 wheels?

GaryDrew

I know this has almost been covered under the usual tyre discussions, but I can't make out which List 1A tyre width is being recommended for a 7" rear wheel.

It's clearly constrained by the widths of tyre offered by the maunfacturers, and then personal tyre choice comes into play.

But... I'd like to hear which

1. tyres and widths are recommended for 7" rear wheels?

Depends how much power you have and what use they're for. Graeme Finlayson uses 185/60's on his (v light for a Westf1eld) sprint car rears, and he's pushing out around 185 brake from a Vx 2.0l.

IMO they're better than Falkens (206/60 rears), which I currently use.

I'd like to try Yoko A539's which I think may be available in 205/60, but I haven't checked.......yet.......

Exactly right about Gee-Fin, I've seen him overpowering those poor 185's plenty of times!

P'raps then the A539's are worth consideration.

There does seem to be a limited no. of 195 or 205 13" tyres available, which is why I was using the heavier 195/50/15 SO-2 for the last two years.

Ive been putting 190 bhp through 185/60/13 RE720's this year and got some good results ( inc Kicking all the wesfields speed series boys bum.gif's)teeth.gif.

I was unable to find any other 13" except for Falkens in any size bigger . I was advised away from these by another sprinter who was running 205/60 .

The RE720 has good levels of grip when you get below the last 4mm of tread , so get em buffed .

Any se7en can be slung sideways with this sort of power on any tires inc ACB's . Thats the beauty of list 1a sprinting .... a battle to get the power down with that great imbalance between grip and horses teeth.gif

Dave

Edited by - Dave J on 2 Oct 2001 14:42:36

As far as I am aware, there are only two 205/60 x 13 tyres currently available in 1A. The aforementioned Falkens and the often forgotten Toyo F3. The Toyo's on my durometer show a slightly softer compound but they have stiffer walls than the Falkens and have a bit more guttering so in the dry there may not be much between them. I seem to recall a car won its class at the L7 club sprint at Curborough this year on the Toyo 205's, so they do deserve a look.

Don't try to put Bridgestone 185/60 x 13 720's on 7 inch rims as they will be stretched too far. They just about fitted onto my 6.5 inch rims but I was never happy with the look of them or the performance, so no longer run them. It may be possible to fit yoko's on 7 inch wheels. I don't have the exact dimensions to hand, but when I measured the two tyres earlier in the year, although both nominally 185's, the carcass on the Yoko was nearly 10 mm wider than the Bridgestone.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 3 Oct 2001 07:25:34

Not quite the same thing I know, but I did three year's worth of track days on RE720s in my Primera, after trying several other makes of tyre, and they were excellent. Fantastic in the wet as well - the combination of those and the FWD meant I could overtake most of the other RWD cars on the track who were struggling out of the corners. Possibly the only time I've enjoyed the Primera more than the 7 (and the Primera was great).

Mike - I am surprised at you...'Tim'?...it's actually Nick Potter and he does put the power down very well indeed! ;-)

Mike and I have both struggled to compete with Nick all season...(and Dave J for that matter!) ...so it's down to personal choice (and practise!)

As a matter of interest, the Toyos also seem to be at least as good if not better than the Bridgestones in the wet, so a worthy choice.

cheers

STEVE

I had many class wins with my Striker using 205/60/13 Falkens on the rear, but they needed to be buffed to 3mm and very hot. Before every run I had to perform a drag-strip style burn-out, which was entertaining for spectators, but the cause of much consternation among start-line marshalls!

Seemed to work though...

Chris.