Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing/refitting grille

ashaughnessy

How do you remove and refit the grille? I've got the old style plain one, not the newer one with the big 7. It's held on by four tiny metal tabs, which are rusty and will only let go their hold with the application of "rough stuff", i.e. by destroying them. Where do you get new ones?

Anthony

• Leadership Team

They just lever off, and inevitably ping into the darkest recess of your garage...

Caterham sell them for a few pence - I don't know of any other sources I'm afraid.

Michael.

I also have this old style grille and when I inquired about getting a shiny new one with the 'Big 7' I was told that it would not fit - is this correct? Any way to make it fit since I quite like the 'Big 7' grille.

Lali, where did you get your protective radiator mesh from? I'm after some for exactly the same reason as you.

What age cars do you have? I have a 96 car and changed to the new grill (7) a couple of years ago. Unless they have changed the design I can't see why it won't fit.

You deffinitely need some mesh behind it though - My first drive out with it fitted resulted in a nice hole and good old Rory off in search of Rad Weld to get me home.

Phil Waters

The car in front must be less in control teeth.gif

• Leadership Team

Steve - I really can't see why it wouldn't. As it's only a 30 second job to change, I am sure you could try someone else's before parting with hard earned cash. Where abouts are you?

Michael.

Yep, as many have already said a quick trip down to B&Q will do the trick.

You do of course have the option of placing the mesh infront of the grill and then you can paint on what ever you want, I have one with the Nurburgring and one with the senna 'S'

I did get the mesh zinc plated by my local friendly metal metal workers to avoid rust and then used black smoothrite to paint on the patterns.

I would put a picture up but I dont know how so if anybody can tell me how to do that i will put up a pic of my car with a grill in place

Best mesh I've come across is available from Halfords in their Boy Racer add-on's section. It's a black rubberised mesh so it doesn't need painting and therefore won't chip. About £20 for enough to do 2 seven grilles, really looks the part IMHO.

Kevin Thomas

kevin.thomas@bigfoot.com

www.7gallery.co.uk

How have people affixed the mesh to their grilles / cars?

Cable ties? Little U-bolts?

On a different note (still sort of to do with grilles) - where can I buy myself a timing beam strut - I don't really want to have to make one (just lazy I guess)

James Whiting does a very neat, light and well fitting aluminium splitter (timing strut)for about 7 ukp.

Play Skool do one in carbon, tarts!

On the mesh does anyone know what size mesh you can run without restricting air flow? Presumably for example 1mm wire and 10mm holes would mean a 10% reduction in available area to get air to the radiator? Would 0.5mm wire and 5mm holes be the same or is there a minimum size at which air flow will choke and not enough air will reach the radiator. Or is this a big non event at the speeds we're talking about?

By the way I do run mesh behind a 7 grille and havn't noticed it running any hotter but interested nevertheless.

Chelspeed,

I fitted some pretty fine mesh behind the '7' motif grill and expected to see some dramatic effect upon the radiator effeciency and a subsequent increase in temperature.....but surprisingly none aparent! Don't understand it but temp was rock solid and same as without mesh.....

Andrew

I must admit to being pretty surprised that my factory-specced & built "Autosport Anniversary Caterham" came with a plain rectangular-mesh grille. Perhaps they don't want to call something with a stereo a 7? wink.gif

- Darren

I got some plastic covered stuff from B&Q for about 2ukp. I got 1sq M of it.

The only problem was it came in green but painted black it looks ok.

I fitted it behind the 7 grill in the hope of catching rocks..... hm.

Simon.

X777CAT

B&Q galvanised Aviary wire (good for picking up the birds? eek.gif) 6mm x 6mm. From a distance looks kind of like the mesh grill on sports versions of flash saloons, like the XK8. Doesn't seem to affect engine temperature at all - or maybe I'm not driving fast enough. Seems to stop gravel trap stones and tyre marbles pretty well. Oh yes, only downside is that it bends when you hit tyre walls. blush.gif