Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

tires

yankeedoodoo

Can anyone suggest some tire/rim combinations for weekend cruising which may offer good performance, some comfort for the slender woman's posterior, and the possibility of more than 2000 miles of treadwear. I have acb10's for intense afternoons. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

021's should be good for 6000 miles good wet or dry performance.

I would go for 13x6 rims and 185 tyres. I run 13x7 and 205 but this is because the wheels came with the car and they look mean. I run em at 15.5 psi to get even wear.

Not sure about comfort...

Get the post 96 supersport set up and you will be fine on the road.

Surely if the tyres are for weekend crusing then we're talking road use, 13" rims are a bit low on ground clearance, he'd be better going for 14" rims. There's a set going in the for sale section with Michelin pilots on for 250 quid. I know pilots are crap but he can also fit 021s when he's flush or gets fed up of the pilots.

Roy

hmmm.. really ? i shredded my a021r's on a 2100 round trip to france and back recently. now granted, i don't know how old they were 'cos i got my seven 2nd hand a couple of months ago, but there was plenty of tread when i left, and not plenty of tread when i got back...

oh, and it wasn't particularly hard driving either. lots of autoroute... sad.gif

do i have to worry ???

j

As i just bought the car I have not tried any of these wheel/tire combinations. Considering ground clearance, how much difference does 13' vs. 14' make if the tires are approximately the same height when inflated? Thanks to all of you for your responses! Know that I am an ignorant colonial attempting to promote sevening on the far side of the pond.

Half an inch. Or not enough to really worry you. Do you have speed bumps over there?

Jam - I got 1500 road miles and the best part of 4 hard and hot track days out of a brand new set of 21Rs. From a 200bhp car with no LSD.

I reckon I could get 6-7k miles out of a set used for touring only...

Were yours worn evenly?

If your in the USA , then I would consider Bridgestone RE720 in 185/60 front , and you have a 205/60/13 RE720 available over there for the rear .

I was seriously considering importing 16 of the 205/60's for sprinting in the UK at the begining of the year , but the tyres in the US are not 'E' marked for European road use ,so that stoped that in its tracks (excuse the pun ?) .

The RE720 are available from "Tirerack.com" at very good prices .

Dave

Great information. You are right about tire rack, I've used them for years and the prices are the best around (with useful warranties). I am envious of the prices on superlite wheels recently offered on blatchat. Regarding the question about speed bumps: Yes, we have them and they are reproducing at an offensive rate. Thanks to everyone for the swift responses and I hope to meet a few of you on the California tour next fall. And now the weather forecast for afghanistan: partly cloudy and 2000 degrees.

I reckon I'd get 6000 miles out of tour use set.

If you go for 70 profile.. at 185 width you have a very similar you will be close to 14" on 60 profile. Can't be bothered to work it out now...

My 13x7 205 60's are near as damn it the same as 14" too.

I have 185 60 profiles on the front... speed not comfort. Ground clearance is a no problem with the VX sump (lower than some) and adj platforms...