Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow - overfill bottle issues

KDEANO

I have a standard 1700 Supersprint and new piston rings are in and bedded down but I still get a passenger footwell full of oil + and overfill bottle brimmed to the top after revving to 6000-6100 rpm a few times.

I know there's been many threads in the past talking of a simple solution but I haven't managed to find them on the archive.

I think it was a roger king invention but I can't be sure.

Can anybody remind me what is required and where I can get the work done?

I'm sick of emptying the overfill bottle every blat.

cheers

KDEANO,

This doesn't sound like a breather problem in the usual sense of oil blowing past the rings or valves, if you have just had the rings replaced.You also seem to be chucking out a lot of oil if the bottle is filling up.

Could it be that you have simply overfilled it with oil? Have you had any reason to recalibrate the dispstick.

Can't think what else it may be

Terry

Q783 OOR. Team Lotus colours with flares.

It's posible I could have overfilled it but I do check the dipstick regularly.

I haven't changed sump or anything so there's no real reason to recalibrate the dipstick (well none that I could think of).

I'll keep running her as she is and closely monitor the situation to see if the bottle is still filling up affter the initial 2 inches of oil which collects in the breather bottle.

thanks for the advice

kristian

The Roger King solution was to route the breather pipe to the rocker cover then take the breather from another point on the rocker cover to the catch bottle.

But it sounds as though yours has something wrong-you shouldn't be getting that much into the bottle as it is.

KDEANO,

Ideally the breather hose should exit the block fitting as straight up / vertical as possible. I have a long hose that runs vertically in-line with the dipstick, then GRADUALLY arcs over into the catch tank - keeping the hose as high as possible.

You are running a mechanical ( cam driven ) fuel pump? If so the driven diaphragm arm is trying to ' bail out ' some of the oil through the block breather. By running the hose straight up ( & high up ) you are making it much harder for the oil to get into the catch tank.

I have found that this helps a lot, and hope it might be of some assistance.

Gavin *cool*

KDEANO

Having read the thread again, I think you need to install the Roger King set up. Gavin's method is trying to overcome the problem by going straight and high, but if you have a twin pipe system that should resolve the problem. My catch tank is on the rear bulkhead with the top of the tank at the sam level as the top of the rocker cover. On a track day it is not unusual to chuck out up to a pint of oil in the day, but any more than that and I think you need to look for a different cause than simple high revs/crankcase pressure. In 'normal' but vigorous driving on the road, there is very little oil coming out.

I have a description of the work I did on the breather and some hard copy photos. E-mail me if you would like me to send them to you

Terry

Q783 OOR. Team Lotus colours with flares.

' My method ' is, in truth, some knowledge gleened from Roger King *smile*. It is a simple solution. It may help. It has worked extremely well for me, even on trackdays.

As Terry says, the ' twin pipe ' set up should work best.

Edited by - Gavin on 26 Feb 2005 04:33:20

Re the link from Manxseven. I've now done the work on my Xflow but ended up with a different solution:

The breather pipe has been left as it was going to the catchtank, although like Gavin says I've made sure it goes up vertical first. It's also worth raising the height of the catchtank too if you can, so it's above the height of the breather outlet.

I've then run another breather pipe from the top of the rocker cover to the same catchtank. The theory here is that it will relieve some of the pressure that builds up in the crankcase that's forcing the oil up the first breather pipe.

Whilst it doesn't recycle the oil, the idea is that this solves the problem rather than the symptom. So far it works well and getting next to no oil blown out.

David

1700XF - http://groups.msn.com/WilkesCaterhamPages

Edited by - DW on 3 Mar 2005 18:52:32

Edited by - DW on 3 Mar 2005 18:54:01