Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Good Engineering shop near Sussex / South east?!

greg

Thanks for the suggestions ... but I've already taken the bits to Sutton Rebore (in Sutton no less) that were recommeded by Raceline and Redline had said they should be ok.

I ended up phoneing over 10 different people and all do do the measuring - its the crack testing that they could not do.

Bits seem to be ok visually and all the knowledgable people have said they "look ok".

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll keep them for future referance.

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)

Greg

Does that mean you havnt had the crack testing done, be very wary of relying on "it looks OK" the methods of non destructive testing are to detect defects not visible to the naked eye.

I had two second hand steel cranks both looked OK but when tested were cracked, I have passed them on to a fellow racer who has broken two this season and he only revs to 8K, one of mine can be repaired but nothing can be done once they let go and they usually take large parts of the engine with them if not your feet!

If it helps I am in West Sussex & can die penetrant test the crank for you, this will show up any SURFACE cracks not visible to the naked eye but not porositys etc under the surface, that would require magnaflux or X-ray.

Edited by - J.R. on 5 Oct 2001 11:55:02

Thanks J.R.

It is being Magnaflux tested. I wanted to get it Xrayed - but could not find anyone. Sutton Rebore where quite happy that magnaflux testing would show up any issues.

Thanks for the offer to do it - if only everyone replied the other day .... never mind.

I should hear today.

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)