Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tacho reading 1/2 with twin coil

prs

Can anybody shed light on this one. I've just changed to a wasted spark setup using a Sagem/Valeo twin coil pack with an Emerald. I ran the extra wire from terminal 5 and everything is fine, engine runs ok, however my rev counter is now reading half what it should do, i've been through the manual but can't see anything obvious - any ideas.

Phil S7SVN

That's because you have your tacho being read from the original coil, or the wiring to the original coil, which is now only receiving half the number of pulses it used to.

With a wasted spark set-up you need to use pin 12 on the Emerald to drive the tacho.

I have no idea. It depends on what tacho you have. Caterham have put quite a few different types in over the years. They're pretty simple but the implementation of shift, ignition and indicator lights in the tacho have obviously made the wiring more complex than the one I've got.

If it were me I'd try to find a colour of wire that matches one coming from one of the coils. Disconnect that and see if the tacho stops working. Then, try running one outside the loom (testing only) from pin 12 to that connector on the tacho.

Thanks guys, had a looksie last night and could see a black and white wire going into the tacho so will try a connection from pin 12 to that, was going to do it last night but couldn't hack the cold - thought I might get frozen upside down under the dash! 😬

Phil S7SVN