Click here if you are having website access problems ×

More running-in paranoia - thin oil

Myles

Hmm - well, I'm up to the 180-mile mark on the running-in exercise of my Apollo'd 1.8k running on cheap 10W40 mineral oil.

The great worry has been whether I'm getting water in the oil...

I took it for a 50-60mile run today (frozen-snow hurts with an aeroscreen) and I'm somewhat concerned that my oil-pressure 'at revs' seems to have gravitated from around 60psi to the low-50's (and this at only 70 degC or so of OT).

In addition, when I pulled the dipstick out for a quick looksee, the oil looks very clean - but also very thin. No sign (on the dipstick - when hot) of mixing oil and water though. When I rub some between my fingers, it doesn't seem *that* slippy...

The oil-level is also high - but that could just be because I filled the engine (sump-off) by volume rather than by observation (i.e. I know how much it takes and just slapped that in).

...could this just be the normal behaviour of cheap'n'cr@ppy mineral-oil? My paranoia is rather extreme at the moment....

...it has occurred to me that the low OP could be due to overfilling - leading to extreme aeration...

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 21 Feb 2005 19:19:03

Don't do it Chris - I've got a lovely 1.6k in Nigels garage - bit of a 'cornflake' solution (boring, does what it says on the box, reliable) - but it will reduce your stress to manageable levels... *wink*

Edited by - Myles on 21 Feb 2005 20:12:24

I'm developing the upgrader's tick. It's an inflection that whenever anyone asks about my new engine, I wince, close one eye and make a "moooing" noise. Can't help it. Driving me mad.

There's a lot to be said for giving the car to someone to do all the work and give it back working. I'll never do it, but there's a lot to be said for it.

Moooooo

Overnight thought:

My basemap is for a 200bhp VVC-valved head rather than the 180ish std. valve head I have.

I didn't reduce the fueling - if anything, I raised it a bit by increasing the injector pulse-width slightly...

...could the 'thin' oil be due to rich-running and associated petrol contamination?

Sorry Myles *tongue*

Is the oil really any thinner than warm oil in any other vehicle you have checked?

I can't think of any reason why new oil would be thinner than it is supposed to be.

The preaaure you report is consistent with warm oil & appollo.

Petrol contamination could only be coming from blow-by, the oil would smell of this also.

If the car runs OK then you probably havn't got much to be paranoid about....until you hear a noise 😬

Oh, that noise.... *wink*

I'm thinking it probably is OK - I put another 30 miles or so on today and it all seems OK.

I think it's almost certainly over-fueled (it's drinking petrol lie nobodies business) and it doesn't-half pop and bang now that I've turned the fuel-cutoff-on-overrun on.

Something needs more tweaking before I journey to Emerald though - in the last 10 miles or so, it's started cutting-out on the approach to junctions between gear-changes - thank gawd for the big-red button... It's as if it can't catch the idle - although it was perfectly happy when I eventually parked up at home...