Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tonneau cover lockable fasteners

Pierre Gillet

With a view to preparing autumn and winter blasts in solo in wet Normandy, I would like to fix the problem that I have with the passenger side Tonneau Cover getting "blown" at a speed over 110 km/h. I was avised to fit some "lockable" fasteners and given the web site address of Woolies at www.woolies-trim.co.uk.

They propose: 12) "Lift the dot fasteners", 2) "Turn Buckle fasteners" or 3) "Tenax fasteners".

Which ones would be the best?

Also it is not clear how the "studs" can be fitted in replacement of the pop rivets used for the normal fasteners on the ali body.

Any advice would be welcome!

Cheers,

Pierre

I mentioned this problem to Caterham, as I have the tonneau that comes with the half screens, and is a very taught fit. It was popping off in the garage at 0 mph let alone on the move, and Caterham said they normally fit special fasteners that can only be undone in one direction. I ordered some from them, and they are really secure. The tonneau now stays affixed even at track speeds. I think they are the 'lift the dot' type, as it says something like that on the female bit. The base is hexagonal in shape.

Needles to say, after struggling with the standard poppers, and then finding Caterham have a known solution to a known problem, I wonder why they don't just supply this type of popper for the tonneau in the first place?

Jon

Edited by - jonhill on 29 Sep 2001 20:35:06

The main reason they don't supply them as std. will be cost.

I also think that not everyone suffers this problem - e.g. my tonneau stays on no problem at well, well over 110km/h. So perhaps there are other factors at play (maybe a couple of "weak" poppers are allowing it to come off and could be replaced individually - though I think Pierre has tried this).

I have a screen but have used it with the tonneau on without the doors and no hassle. My cover also isn't massively taught, which is a bit of a pain when it rains.

Thank you for the info.

Jon,it is good to know that Caterham are selling the adequate fasteners. I will add some of these to the list of items I am about to order from them.

Andy, I am afraid I even did not have the idea to replace the faulty popper by another one since the poppers are brand new as is the tonneau. Anyway, I would agree that some poppers seem to be "weaker" than others, and I shall try replacing them.

Cheers,

Pierre