Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

URGENT - socket for dry sump to gearbox bolts

Miraz

Does anyone have a socket that is capable of attaching to the 20mm bolts that run from the bellhousing to the gearbox that I can borrow this weekend. The bolts are recessed and nothing that I have will fit!

I'm between High Wycombe and Amersham, there has to be someone nearby that has one.

Miraz - 07770 635217

Thanks - none of my local stores had them.....got it sorted in the end.

Would have got the engine in today - except that I seem to have the wrong engine mounting brackets.

See right and left - so I'll need to wait for the right ones to turn up.

Miraz

Edited by - Miraz on 29 Sep 2001 21:55:35

Miraz,

Not sure which of your engine mounts is wrong from the photos - they look OK - too much cardboard!! On the dry sump scavenge pump side the engine needs to be a little further over towards the steering column - it gets very close down there. Just wait until you fit the cooling pipe where it joins the submarine pipe - that runs over the top of the scavenge pump pulley and is also very tight!

You don't seem to have the exhaust manifold/pipes in place. If you have the same 4-1 setup as my K series then you need to fit this whilst the engine is dangling so that you can fit it under the bay diagonal but before the engine is finally sat on its mounts - otherwise you can't fit the exhaust in position.

I note that you haven't got any engine mount restraints in place. If the car is meant to be for competition or high performance use these are recommended. They go directly on top of the engine mounts using the same holes. I only mention this as the gold dry sump scavenge pump indicates a very high performance engine - VHPD or I guess R500.

Also if you have widetrack you may want to think about where the wishbone washers are - from the pictures you are presumably fitting 4 washers one side and none the other. Other people seem to recommend 2 washers either side for this setup.

Hope this helps.

Brian

I guess the photo doesn't make it clear - The bracket under the dry-sump pump is much too short - my car is an SV, and the bracket is for a normal chassis - hence it is resting on the block of wood. I should get the correct mount tomorrow morning.

I'm fitting an exhaust with individual headers so these should fit after the engine is in place.

I phoned Caterham to try to get hold of some restraints, but was told that they are now integral to the mounting and not required.

Thanks for help

Miraz

Edited by - Miraz on 1 Oct 2001 23:16:28