Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is this position illegal for tax disc?

frankyknuckles

I think you'll be asking for it there - *between* the back seats might be OK and defensible - *behind* one of the seats seems beyond the reasonable expectations of a roadside official.

- and if you've got any weather-gear, I'd forget it entirely. Having said that, my car lives under a cover when parked outside my house - but we're not in a town renowned for overbearing officialdom.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 19 Feb 2005 13:35:29

Franky, why there in particular - are you concerned about theft or aesthetics?

I did have mine through one of the window bracket bolts (the usual place) but now have it through the side panel bolt holding the front bonnet clip. Its difficult to get to the nut in the engine bay so safe from casual theft. Just a thought.

SL No.174

Member No.109xx *cool* Pictures here

Two different offences in my understanding.

One offence is failing to have your car taxed, significant penalty, related to the amount of time it's not been taxed and /or fine plus payment of back tax.

Second offence is failing to display a tax disk, nominal penalty, £10 or something. Hence why I used to "display" the caterham one under the scuttle and the motorbike one at home in the drawer.

The new tax gathering camera systems read your no plate and interrogate DVLA's database to see if your car's taxed or not. If it's been issued with a tax disc then no fine, irrespective of whether the tax disk is in the normal bottom left of the screen, bolted to the exhaust bracket, in the middle of the back panel, under the scuttle, at home in the drawer or whatever. So stick it anywhere you wish in my view, very small risk of nominal fine but what the hell?

This is anecdotal though, never seen it written down anywhere.

I think the official requirement is for display on the nearside of the windscreen - in 15yrs ish of Seven type driving I've been pulled over twice - both times because the following Police-people couldn't see the disc in the windscreen - both times they were fine with it mounted on the n/s windscreen mounting. Although the fisrt time he must not have liked the look of my passenger and went round the car - found slightly crazed rear tyres so gave me a producer.

I now have a suitably sized sticker stuck where you would expect the disc to be. the disc is still on the screen mounting in a water resistant bike holder where it can't blow off.

Bri

Have a look at the DVLA's website:

www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/vehlicnc.htm

Pretty clear advice: "You must display this disc on the left-hand side of the vehicle's windscreen. If the vehicle does not have a windscreen fitted, you will need to display the disc on the nearside of the vehicle (the passenger side)."

I have always been led to believe that the disc has to be 'to the left and ahead of the driver'.

Pierson

I did get stopped once, when I had it on the inside panel (in the car).

Bobby on a bike stopped me after I had passed him as he was joining road.

"Stopped you because I noticed you are not displaying a tax disc, sir"

Showed him where it wa and siad it stops it getting pinched of screen.

"Not really worried about that, just wanted to know if you built it yourself and whta engine it's got"

Spent the next HOUR talking cars. All the passers by must have thought I was getting the 3rd degree.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here