Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Polishing exhausts

seven7

i had my exhaust polished by metal polishers - there are loads in midlands. shine lasts if you maintain with autosol or similar.

metal polishers do a great job that is really hard to achieve at home and it is a really messy job to do at home

S31VEN

A visit to the metal polishers followed by autosol and lots of elbow grease. I've never managed to get mine back to the silver-mirror finish, but a very light gold-mirror finish. best way to apply I've found is to put autosaol onto an old towel, which has been torn into strips, and thread through the primaries and use a 'pulley' motion with both hands. This enables you to reach in between the pipes to maintain an all round polish.

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud teeth.gif

Richard,

You should be able to buy Autosol from any motor spares shop i.e Halfords, local car accessory shops and even m/cycle shops. It is a common polishing agent, usually in a tube. Hope this helps

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud teeth.gif

You can buy the complete kit of circular mops of three grades and paste blocks of two grades made by a company called MOTAD.

It costs 26 pounds and I got mine from Skellerns Motorcycles in Worcester.

It is a sort of retail version of the kit that metal finishing shops use and is very good at turning normal tube into a mirror finish exhaust. Just add an eletric drill.

Dispite Steve's slurr to the contary I do actually do other things than just polish bits of my car.... I just wish I could think of an example - Doh! [;]

Sorry been on Holiday so slow responce

I always use about a 600 grit wet and dry, using it wet, and then work up to 1200 grip usually, mainly as I have trouble getting finner stuff than that.

I then use Autosol (Halfords sell it) on a soft rag to do the polishing. If the area is big then I have also found the buffeting pads that attach to drills are pretty good to, but be careful not to press too hard or to run too high an rpm as this will cook the Autosol and its a bugger to get off again then! For the exhaust you could try gently clamping your drill in a vice or workmate and then working the tubes on the revolving pad.

I keep eying up a grinding machine which you can then fit a polishing pad to - just need a bench to bolt it too now smile.gif

Phil Waters

The car in front must be less in control teeth.gif

Richard,

Finer wet/dry minimises the elbow grease you need when applying the Autosol. You can start with P1000/P1200 then finish with P1500/P2000, then follow this up with Autosol.

P1500 and finer can be bought from any commercial paint supplier, its used to flat paint after spraying prior to refinishing with rubbing down compound (incidentally a cheaper way of polishing than Autosol if you buy the right grade).

Oily

P1200 is really the highest figure I can find here. I thought it was the ultimate...

I used it before applying the varnish on the fabulous pearlescent ruby paint bought to caterham for my cycle wing conversion. I was very proud of the result, but understand it could have been even better.

Anyway, I also painted the spark plug cover with the silver paint of the bonnet stripe. It really looks good and makes believe that I have made some engine upgrade! I know, it sounds childish but it does work on my morale...

Pierre