Click here if you are having website access problems ×

XFlow Con Rods - Guidance por favor

GaryDrew

I'm planning the rebuid of my sprint/hills xflow engine at the moment and considering a set of polished rods et al.

Now, I've been offered a set of polished/balanced rods which are stated as being "2733E" type.

1) What does this mean? Does it refer to length?

2) I'm planning to rebore and fit a set of +90 Accralite forged pistons. Should I be considering alternative rod lengths from the std 4.93"? And why?

Engine spec: 150bhp-ish, 244 cam, iron crank.

I'd appreciate any guidance on the tech pros & cons on this issue. I'd also be interested in sets of suitable hardware for sale(eg good forged pistons, polished rods).

The 2733E rods are from the shorter stroked 1100 xflow which means they are a bit longer than the 1600 rods (11 or 12mm I think), this can be useful if you are using shorter (non xflow) pistons and it will also give a better rod ratio/angle. With stock pistons it will give a problem with crown height.

The Accralites will ( I would have thought) have been produced at the right height to work with the standard rods, the longer rods will give a problem with piston height. I didnt think that xflow rods were a particular weak spot at that sort of level as long as you use decent bolts, the pistons are the biggest Achilles heel.

Oily

The 1100 rod is actually much shorter and considerably weaker than the standard 1600 2737 rod. (remember that the 1100 block is 25mm shorter than the 1600.)

Use the standard height Accralite pistons and invest in a set of "Dave Brooks'" superb polished, lightened, heat-treated rods together with a set of K-Max or Cosworth bolts. Forgotten Dave's number, but he is called "Dave Brooks Engines" and is based in Crewe. I used these rods in my engine, and they are a work of art. Not expensive at about £150 a set, and Dave boasts that he has never(ever) had one break. They are safe to about 9000rpm.

Also, Dave Brooks is an expert on all aspects of competition x-flows. Will dig out his number and email address.

Regards,

Chris.