Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Diesel 1600 K

susser

I've got a noise which I think is different to Bigfoot's. It goes like this; burble burble burble knock burble burble burble knock knock knock burble burble burble burble burble burble burble burble knock knock, and so on. It's a 1600 K Supersport, got a light flywheel, full race exhaust, done 20K and well cared for. I suspect the noise (Which sounds exactly like a diesel knock and not like an on load pink) is due to the EMS trying to get the timing on cue and being fooled by sudden changes in RPM such that the ignition pulse is arriving when it thinks it should but the crank hasn't got there yet. Then the microphone picks the knock up and retards the ignition by a few degs. This only happens when cold. Am I totally out of my tree ?? *confused*

Well that kinda stops that theory dead in it's tracks. Another clue, it only does it when it's stone cold. It doesn't get cold enough on club nights, so no one in Carrotland has heard it properly. One concern; maybe I should warm it up at 1500 revs to keep those hydrodynamic bearings dynamic-ing.

Its not something stupid like the exhaust knocking something when the engine is cold and rocking slightly is it?

My xflow when cold can sometimes just slightly move enough for the manifold to touch the body for a split second making a bit of a knocking sound.

A known issue on Rover 25's etc. My understanding is that dealers are advised not to be concerned or take any action unless it persists for more than a certain time after startup without touching the throttle at all. 90 -120 sec seems to ring a bell. Our 40K/3year old Rover 25 1.4 used to do it a little bit.

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

When an engine is cold there is a clearance between the piston and bore, the magnitude of which depends on the piston material and its rate of expansion. As the engine heats up, the pistons expand to take up some of this clearance. Piston slap is the sound a cold piston makes as it rocks in the bores before expanding, and occurs in both directions of stroke.

Old japanese aircooled two-stroke motorbikes (Yamaha RD's for example) had a significant amount of piston/bore clearance, especially if 'Prox' pistons were used. They could sound like a bag of hammers until warm!

One word of warning if your pistons are made of a 'high-expansion' material (requiring large piston/bore clearances) - warm the motor gently until up to temperature as 'cold seizures' are not unheard of. This is where a piston can rock to the extent that the edges of the crown or skirt can pick-up on the bore, causing it to smear.....

We will mend it We will fix it...

Alex, that's what I mean about not every stroke. I know it goes suck squeeze bang blow, and it desn't knock on any particular one, hence the original desciption of the relalatively random nature as described in my original post.

If it was piston slap wouldn't it occur on every (bang) stroke like what it did on one of the pistons in my Volvo 340 after it had siezed. (we are talking a long time ago here). But it sounds as if it's searching for the correct timing, at least 'till it's warm.

Edited by - susser on 16 Feb 2005 13:34:54