Click here if you are having website access problems ×

advice: fitting/removal of FIA bar - vs R500 roll bar

masha

If I release the tops of my rear shocks and the remainder of the FIA bolts on top, presumably my FIA bar will come off?

Presumably having the car lifted assists this as it releases tension on the Bilstein's - any advices.

Inicidentally does anyone know if the R500 bar has similar fittings or does it just fit ontop like a traditional rollbar (ie no interaction with the suspension)? Also what's it made of - not heat-treated oversize alloy is it?

The FIA bar should be bolted to the chassis by two bolts inserted verticaly into the main tubes from above the suspension units.

(It may be worth removing the top fixings first and then trying to remove the FIA bar just in case the vertical bolts are missing)

If they are in place then you will need to remove each suspension unit from within its turret in order to gain access to the vertical bolts.

Hope this helps

Masha,

I've just fitted an R500 bar to my superlight (it was specced from new with it). There seems to be only four fixings on the R/B in total, two at the back which seem to be common to all, however there is only two fixings on the main hoop, one on either side.

The fixing is inboard of the hoop itself, however there is a stub about an inch long that friction fits into the hole on the chassis.

As far as my instructions went, this seemed to be all that was required to fix it. At no point did it have anything to do with the suspension mounts.

I haven't seen the FIA R/B fixings so I can't comment but I would imagine from what you've said it is easier to go from an FIA to an R500, than the other way round.

As for what it's made of, it's not the cold drawn steel that the FIA bar is made of, and it's not alloy either. I think it's hot rolled and bent seam welded steel (seem to remember there was an article in LF recently about it March issue - the one with the pink blade on the front)

Cheers

Tarkers

Only reason for my preference of R500 bar over FIA - its lighter, easier to fit and remove, nice-looking proportions, without the ugly diagonal strut, its in keeping with the Superlight series of cars, and as I don't intend to use the car on the track I don't see why I need an FIA. That's all, other than that I'm sure the FIA bar is fine (although I must say I'm not keen when people colour-code them to their cars and make these monsterous heavy-duty bars stand out like a sore thumb - black is always a lot more neutral; but I guess that is down to personal preference). At lease no model Caterham roll bar looks as bad a W*$"*!^"d one!

although I must say I'm not keen when people colour-code them to their cars and make these monsterous heavy-duty bars stand out like a sore thumb

Masha, I'm afraid I have to disagree. I have a BRG/yellow 7 with a yellow FIA bar for 2 reasons:

1. I like it tongue.gif

2. As the main body of the car is BRG, anything that helps me be seen by tintops has to be a good idea in the interests of safety and hence I'm quite happy for it to stand out like a sore thumb.

And yes, you're right its all down to personal preference. So when you said my car was looking good you didn't really mean it blush.gifsmile.gif

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud teeth.gif

Edited by - c7cat on 27 Sep 2001 12:44:01

Nothing wrong with your car Chris - I must admit I didn't even notice the roll bar - too busy taking-in the aero screens (that blow's my sore thumb theory out of the water), although I take your point re. the visability/safety issue - good thinking, be safe!

Matt

Masha,

When I switched from a normal bar to FIA I did a simple experiment:

Hold FIA bar in left hand

Hold Normal bar in right hand

Until I did this I just thought I was paying for some special FIA stickers and a diagonal brace. It's a bit like comparing a drinking straw to a scaffolding pole. I believe the R500 bar is bigger diameter but not better material - anything with a seam isn't very strong compared to equivalent seamless.

I couldn't see myself switching back.

Piers

PS - has your missus found a nice Mini yet. Might be up for an offer on the Cinq as the new car is arriving early!

Thanks for the feed-back on the roll bar/s opinions & facts folks - appreciated as always. I may stick with the FIA for now (until I see someone selling an R500 bar nice and cheap), the FIA is certainly pretty secure and a safe option (which is the idea I guess). It was just when I picked up my car my father commented "what's that monsterous great-big bar, that's not as neat as your old one which I hardly noticed" - which got me thinking. However, I think now I'm getting used to it.

Yep I'm mini-hunting at the weekend - R's drawn-up a shortlist (will ask re. cinq though): trying to steer her away from metros at the moment (although nothing wrong with the engine in the GTI I hasten to add)!