Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Should i be worried about this noise?

bigfoot

I have recently had the Supersport-R 160 upgrade carried out by Caterham, and now have an unusual noise that is hard to explain. I'm hoping the combined wisdom of Blatchat could help, although i think i'll phone Simon on Monday just in case.

The noise seems to come from the top of the engine, ie camshaft area and is only noticeable when using up to half throttle. I can only describe the noise as a hollow rattle. When up to speed and not accelerating it disappears as it does also when putting your foot down, although the induction noise may drown it out. The engine also sounds tappety on tick over even when warm and i have checked the oil which is ok.

Has anyone got any ideas on what it could be, or has someone else had this conversion and found similar noises? Could it be part of the running in process for the new parts in the engine?

This post now in the right forum! Doh!

All comments appreciated.

Graeme

Thanks John for putting my mind at rest. I did check the spark plug cover as mentioned in an earlier post, but was ok.

At least it proves that the money went on new parts. I was just concerned about a different noise.

Overall i'm pleased with the upgrade, and the induction roar 😬

Graeme