where has all the good stuff gone

henry21p

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scalextric - Lots of it - And a BIG house to set it all up in 😬 *thumbup*

Another Se7en -or- get 3 of em and you can have "one for the road, one for the track, and one in bits" *tongue*

Albert Einstein: The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.

yes, there does seem to be a hole in the market for a good universal remote control. I want one that you can program from the PC (so you can create easily one macro to: turn on receiver, change it to DVD, lower the projector screen, turn on the projector, turn on DVD, change it to region 1 and then play the DVD), and is small with fixed buttons for main controls and decent colour touch screen for other functions...

Seems the Pronto colour one is close, but at £700 it is a little pricey!!! to say the least!

do you have a spare room?

How about a live in au-pair??

Apparently they only cost about £50 a week in pocket money... and you can probably feed them for about £20 a week on beans and pasta.

You can get them to do all your cleaning/laundry and you can then get a nice golden retriever puppy as she can look after it for you whilst your away.

I'm VERY tempted by this plan!!! What with being away from home alot preventing me getting the pet dog I want!

I've actually found another alternative that I'm considering

There is a small company round the Chavdom that visits your dog during the day for £3

Walks it for £5 and overnights it for £10

With my proper working schedule that works out at about £35 a week...

Already sacked the cleaner so all I need is job security and I think we have a go'wer

The light at the end of the tunnel is probabally an on coming train *eek*

Not having a dog does not feel right.

My last one died 3 yrs ago, but since then I moved to the Chavdom and parents to Devon so its hard

I spoke to RSPCA recently and they suggested a ex racing Greyhound/ lurcher

Apparently they only require 10 mins of frenetic activity AM and PM and rest the rest of the day

Noticed that with Parents lurcher but I thought she was just acting as the rest of the family did

Spaniels and terriors are out as they need activity all day, Collies require to be worked to keep brain active

RSPCA did alos suggest aged GR's. "Borrowing a set " next month to see how Delberta gets on

When Parents came up recently with the lurcher the house just "felt right" and no a cat is NOT an option, its on the same level as a wife!!!!!

The light at the end of the tunnel is probabally an on coming train *eek*

yeah, not point having a useless Pussy walking around the house when your not there... eating what it likes and only looking for your attention when she wants it!

Now, my sister and her hubby only live about 30 mins away. They are thinking of getting a dog. Maybe I could convince them to get two puppies and one of them would be mine. I could then get a firm like you mentioned for when I'm away for a few days at a time, or have my sister look after the dog when I'm away for longer...

I might have to raise this with her!

For me it would have to be a golder retreiver, or a lab at a push...

Dave, how are you set for household applicances? You can get some rather 'sexy' fridges and things now that come internet enabled.

Or how about a wi-fi music streamer for your seperates hi-fi? basically store all your music on your desktop PC in your office. Put a bit of software on it and then plug a box into your hi-fi that lets you select and play stuff off the PC. They are down to £150 or less now...

am renting a room still so have no control over kitchen appliances etc... all my stuff from my house is in storage..

streaming the audio sounds quote attractive.. found a device on www.novatech.co.uk

am tempted by one of the barebones systems from there to beef up my old pc at work. fit a dual monitor graphics card and a second monitor set up as a touch screen one. I've found a 17" crt screen for not much money that looks ok. Don't want to go TFT just yet.

actually, my hi fi is an early 1970s very expensive sony bit of kit with wooden speakers. still sounds better than most stuff available these days. Maybe hifi might do me. the dvd player is a nice one that copes with 7.1 as well. any recommendations?

hmmm..

Dave the motherboard upgrade bundles on there are quite tempting!

for £150 I could replace my old AMD1400 with USB 1 only with a AMD 2600 with usb 2, better graphics card and better sound. Seems a bargain! I'm trying to set up my old PC as a sort of media centre. All my music is on it, and quite a few videos and stuff.

Do you have a surround sound system then? Or just a good DVD player plugged into your 2 speaker hifi?

If not, then get one! Don't get a small speaker one-box solution as they sounds carp. Get a seperate receiver, spending as much as you can (£500 would get something rather nice). The get some good speakers. 5.1 is enough really. Again get 'full sized' speakers not little fag box sized ones if yuu want the best sound. a good sub-woofer (£200) is a must to make the neighbours dentures rattle during explosions!! 😬 😬

Just bought the Denon DHT500-SD home cinema kit. Very nice for the price (£400 from qed-uk.com) See a review here (it's a pdf so be patient when viewing).

Along with a 36" Toshiba 'Picture Frame' series TV running progressive scan from the DVD, it's better than Plasma....

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

kev, I can't read PDFs on carp work PC.

BUT all in ones have come along a bit recently but I still reckon that they just don't have the quality or guts of a decently picked spereates system. And you can build up the seperates as and when more money becomes available. ie buy receiver and make do with 2 speakers to begin with. add extra better speakers as and when budget allows... replace reciever in 5 years when technology has moved on but keep good curernt speakers (speaker technology is pretty static)

But then, for £400 for everything the all in in is good value. The set up I had was about £1000 3 years ago, so its not really comparing apples with apples.

well - up until I moved out of the house I own to rent it to friends I was getting regular use out of a very good denon amp connected up to the full monty surround - we had the first set of the (now defunct) KEF Q series large front speakers in the country at the time. The sub's mounted on a concrete slab to stop it destroying the house...

and thanks guys - I am getting all excited about technology again now.

someone else has suggested that I look for some of the old retro konami games coffee tables as well. That got me on to thinking - the first 'console' (non BBC micro) game that I recall was playing the original donkey kong game on a coin-op on holiday with my dad in tenerife at the age I could barely reach the buttons... wonder where I can get one for him as a gift!

Edited by - Dave21P on 9 Feb 2005 13:17:40

Neil,

Just replaced my separates with the Denon, had Marantz, Mission, Pioneer separates (not brilliant, but not bad either) and the Denon isn't any worse... Then again I wouldn't claim to be an audiophile, can't see how anyone who drives a Caterham can be... 😳 😳 😳

The Denon is MUCH more user friendly, no more having to use twenty remote controls to watch a film. And as a DVD player it's bloody excellent!!!

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

well, I was a very lucky boy at christmas and am now the owner of a very good DVD player that is nice progressive scan, plays anything and handles 7.1 through to the usual dts, dolby digital etc etc etc

so... if I have one of those, what amp do I really want to be connecting up to it? I'm then giong to buy myself the camera and bullet-cam, a good mike and record my car doing fun things on track etc and play it back really loud next time I'm without the car for 4 months due to engine failure. (just to keep it on topic for the site!)

how much have you won on the lottery so I know how silly the buget can get!

Do you have a Laz-y-boy chair? No bachelor should be without one...

How about one of those big wine-not-quiet-a-fridge-storing things for the cases of Chaeteu Neufdepape '74 in.

On that line.. my dad came up with a great idea for the garage in my house when it goes through.... have an inspection pit put in, with cupboards in the side to make it into a wine cellar as well as handy caterham servicing facility!!! 😬 😬

Could be the only way to ever get Delbert underneath a car...

Edited by - neil.cavanagh on 9 Feb 2005 17:01:21

as before.... no room for the lazyboy as i'm in rented fully furnished at the moment...

used to have a first class airline seat in the sweet spot of the stereo. complete with fold out table, room for the beers etc etc. it's since been inherited by another student to keep it being properly used... that fold out table was VERY handy