Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vaux - lightened flywheel?

Gary-Cornwall

Engine's out (XE) at the mo' so thinking about shedding a few pounds.

Has anyone got experience/advice on this route? I understand there's the option of exchange and lightened or replacement with steel from reading previous posts via search. SBD quote a little over £400 for a full clutch/flywheel upgrade.

Can I use the existing clutch and centre plate (standard) with a lightened steel flywheel or do I need all the kit?

What sort of response changes can I expect and is it worth the dosh?

Thanks

Gary

I went SBD light steel flywheel, needed to fit a super clutch 7.5" clutch. with a set of bolts clutch and flywheel, cost came to circa £800.00 I'll dig out the invoice if you want exact price. new Assembly cut weight from 16kg's down to8kgs 😬 also the mass is all closer to the middle ,so less rotational inertia. engine spins up a lot quicker, also helps locking rears up on down change if you are too lazey to heel and toe. Clutch is very sharp though.

If i was only doing road work, I probably wouldn't bother, it does hit the torque a bit. *thumbup*

Also i had to go to a hydralic clutch ,as the clutch fork fouled the clutch cover. that was another couple of hundred quid for master cylinder and release bearing and mount, and hoses, and bleed tee and and and.

She's finally Home!!!!!!!!! *smile*

Edited by - Gambo on 8 Feb 2005 22:09:07

Mine is a standard pie disk lightened and weighs 5.5 kg (flywheel only). The original weighs 7.7kg.

The clutch cover and plate weigh 5 kg so I have 10.5 kg total and the standard clutch.

It is noticeable on spin up but driveablilty is the pretty much the same as the standard one.

Don't expect a 'vivv vivv' rpm rise when you blip the throttle though.

Someone (Steve Mell) once told me that this set up was lighter or the same as the 1st stage racing clutch. Is it true Steve?

Cost £70 2nd hand *thumbup*

You can get your flywheel lightened. SBD have someone who does them I believe.

Mine has done lots of race starts, seems bullet proof and I always got off the line pretty well IMHO 😬 I guess a race start is easier than start pulling a caravan up a hill.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

Edited by - stevefoster on 8 Feb 2005 22:17:18

The standard mod does not reduce the thickness of the plate as such it removed the massive weighted lip all around the wheel leaving only posts to bolt the clutch cover on at the same spacing.

As mentioned reving very high with any standard flywheel will be outside of OEM spec.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

Thanks for the help all.

From further research I'm looking at £400 for a replacement steel light flywheel and all the other bits to match (not heavy duty like Gambo's). Not sure it's worth it for my level (Trackdays and sprints running the XE on 40's at about 160bhp).

Might put the funds towards a raceco exhaust instead to help on those noise limit days.

Buy a std fitment steel one - around £200.

Otherwise spend probably circa £1200 on a small multiplate plus all the hydraulics to operate it correctly.

There's not much in between.

Do not use a lightened cast flywheel at any engine speed if you like eith a) your legs or b) your car to remain as presently intact. A very false economy.

Alex,

Using a cable works, but due to the much tighter tolerances in terms of bearing throw on the clutch springs the effects of cable stretch make the installation hit and miss with the risk of damaging the springs. The hydraulic mechanism is in essence self adjusting in this respect.

Aves - I'm surprised you shop at QED, knowing what you do!